PDA

View Full Version : Outside the Box

Hans Braul
12-16-2006, 1:12 PM
Well, I've finally completed the box I've been working on for what seems like forever. It's a Christmas gift for my mother. The box is cherry with birdseye maple panel in the lid.
Took much longer than I thought and it has taught me some humility. Made me realize I am really a rank beginner. Here are just a couple of my mistakes, which I tried to correct as best I could:
We live and learn, and with a bit of patience try to get better with each project.

Cheers
Hans

tim rowledge
12-16-2006, 1:27 PM
Never mind the mistakes, your mother will love it. My late mother treasured a truly awful pine dovetailed sewing box I made at the age of eleven.

John Schreiber
12-16-2006, 3:43 PM
Isn't that just like a perfectionist. You make a really nice box which anybody would be pleased with and you post big pictures of the little flaws which only you would notice.

Nice work.

Jim Becker
12-16-2006, 4:11 PM
Very nice, Hans!! I do agree with John...it's good you can identify the "boo-boos", but the majority will never know they are there. It's only important that you learn from it.

Mike Henderson
12-16-2006, 5:03 PM
Hans - Your "box" looks wonderful. No one will ever notice your "mistakes". They go to prove that it was hand made in any case.

How is that top made? I see in the picture with the top open that the inside of the top is flat but the outside is a dome. I wouldn't think you'd do that with solid wood because it'd make the top too heavy.

Is that just some thin wood, maybe 1/2 inch, mitered to make that shape?

Mike

[added note: Oops, I thought that box was larger than it probably is. I thought it was a blanket chest. Sorry.]

Gilbert Vega
12-16-2006, 5:13 PM
That's a great looking box. As far as I'm concerned, my mistakes are part of what makes it "hand-made". I've been wanting to build a box for my Dad and that looks like a very nice design.

Where did you get the hinges?

Don Bullock
12-16-2006, 5:16 PM
That's a beautiful box. Mistakes? I don't see any mistakes. I just see the love of fine craftsmanship.

Howie French
12-16-2006, 6:09 PM
Hans,
when you look at the box you may see a couple of small goofs, when I and others see it, we see a beautiful Box !

very Nice, I really like this box.

Howie

Hans Braul
12-16-2006, 6:10 PM
Thanks all. In re-reading my post it sounds like I'm kinda fishing for compliments - that really wasn't my intent. I am just amazed how woodworking really is good for taking one down a peg. No matter how careful you are, there's no substitute for skill built from experience. I am happy with the result, warts and all.

Mike, you are right, the box is only about a foot long, and the top is about 5/8 inches thick.

If my mom doesn't like it, it can always be pressed into service as a humidor! Not much chance of that. I could probably give her an orange crate and she'd love it.

Cheers to all

Hans

Gary Herrmann
12-16-2006, 8:15 PM
Very nicely done Hans. Like most of us, you can't unsee a mistake even tho most everyone else will never notice. Your mother will be pleased and proud.

Karl Laustrup
12-16-2006, 8:47 PM
Beautiful Hans. Those minor mistakes only make that box more valuable in my estimation. The cherry and maple are wonderful choices and two of my favorites.

Good job and I know your mom will treasure it.

I do hope you've signed it in some way?

Karl

Bruce Page
12-16-2006, 8:58 PM
Hans, beautiful box! I love the finish, and the dovetails are awesome!

Mark Singer
12-16-2006, 9:19 PM
Hans,
We are all learning from every project! My next dovetails will be better than my last ones and yours will be too. You learn from doing and making mistakes...somethings show....somethings you can fix. On dovetails even the saw jumping past the line a touch will show! If you made 6 drawers one after another...the last will be the best! That is a great box and even more wonderful is that you are making and learning. This type of box requires care. Now with this knowledge you will do better...still it is a handmade...beautiful piece!

Hans Braul
12-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Mark, it's always nice to get encouragement from fellow woodworkers, but I particularly value your comments and advice. Thanks for looking.

Hans

Brian Knodel
12-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks all. In re-reading my post it sounds like I'm kinda fishing for compliments - that really wasn't my intent. <snip>

Maybe you’re not fishing for complements … but I’ll give you one! That finish looks great in the photos, care to elaborate?

Brian

Hans Braul
12-17-2006, 7:35 AM
The finish is BLO, then about 6 coats padded shellac, then a couple of coats of wax. I found the shellac to be tricky and learned that in future anything that doesn't present flat surfaces when assembled should be prefinished before assembly.

Cheers
Hans

Corey Hallagan
12-18-2006, 9:57 PM
Hans, great looking box. I have yet jumped into the hinge arena. I expect I am going to make some mistakes as well :) Nice job!

Corey