PDA

View Full Version : Bought a secretary......

Phil Phelps
11-09-2003, 4:11 PM
....This is a secretary that belonged to my late grandmother. I had buy it from an estate sale that my late inlaw uncle hijacked from the family. The Dresden dolls were also part of this purchase, as my wife was promised them years ago. The secretary was purchased late 40's from a prestigous department store in Dallas. It had the reciept in it. $1500.00. That is not flat glass, it is embossed. Hard to photograph, but it is really a beautiful attraction to the doors. I haven't located the manufacturer anywhere on the piece, yet. Pre pnuematic nailers and MDF. I couldn't let it get away. The moral to this is, make sure you have a will and you specify where things are going. Things could wind up anywhere but where you intended.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-09-2003, 5:32 PM
Phil, that is a beautiful peice of Furniture. 'Tis a shame that you had to purchase it when it should have never been allowed to leave the family in the first place, but the important thing is you were able to save it. This happens all too many times when loved ones pass away, and your advice regarding the subject is right on the money. The Secretary looks to be in outstanding condition, and it was really good to see that you were able to get the Dolls that were promised to your wife as well. I don't know what gets into folks at times? Anyway, congratulations on the new addition, and thanks for sharing the story, advice and photo's. ;)

John Piwaron
11-10-2003, 9:24 PM
good looking piece.

I shudder if one of those glass panes should break. The reflections on some of them suggest they sort of bulge out, right? If that's the case, there's a web site from a guy named Jeff Greef that describes a method for making curved glass panes. It doesn't sound completely impossible, just very difficult.

Wolf Kiessling
11-11-2003, 11:45 PM
....This is a secretary that belonged to my late grandmother. I had buy it from an estate sale that my late inlaw uncle hijacked from the family. The Dresden dolls were also part of this purchase, as my wife was promised them years ago. The secretary was purchased late 40's from a prestigous department store in Dallas. It had the reciept in it. $1500.00. That is not flat glass, it is embossed. Hard to photograph, but it is really a beautiful attraction to the doors. I haven't located the manufacturer anywhere on the piece, yet. Pre pnuematic nailers and MDF. I couldn't let it get away. The moral to this is, make sure you have a will and you specify where things are going. Things could wind up anywhere but where you intended.

When my ex-wife's guardian passed away, my ex-wife inherited just about everything the old gal owned (by virtue of a will) However, by the time we got up there (it was way out of state) some of the relatives had already ransacked the house and most of the really good stuff was already gone and spread all over the country. She got a lawyer and basically all he did was write some letters and she got a couple of the things back but that was it. We never did find out where some of the stuff went to. Some people.......

John Miliunas
11-12-2003, 8:14 AM
When my ex-wife's guardian passed away, my ex-wife inherited just about everything the old gal owned (by virtue of a will) However, by the time we got up there (it was way out of state) some of the relatives had already ransacked the house and most of the really good stuff was already gone and spread all over the country. She got a lawyer and basically all he did was write some letters and she got a couple of the things back but that was it. We never did find out where some of the stuff went to. Some people.......

Same thing kinda' happened to my best buddy, except in this case, it was his grandmother who had passed on and a greedy uncle got his mitts on the estate. The worst part is, all my friend had ever wanted from the entire thing was an old clock his grandfather had promised him years ago before he passed on. Just another argument for a valid, current will.