PDA

View Full Version : Finished Gift Rolling Pins

Gilbert Vega
12-16-2006, 4:20 AM
Finished up making two rolling pins to be given as Christmas gifts. Here's a pic of the one made of Walnut and Curly Maple cut on a bias. The rack is made to hold the pin vertically. I didn't get a picture of it before it was wrapped.

Walnut/Maple

52627 52628

Mesquite/Maple

Tom Sherman
12-16-2006, 7:55 AM
Very Nice Gilbert gonna be some happy bakers.

Glenn Hodges
12-16-2006, 8:21 AM
Gilbert, I really like it. What finish did you use?

Terry Quiram
12-16-2006, 9:13 AM
Gilbert

Very nice job. I like the curly maple and walnut combination. The vertical holder is an excellent idea.

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Those are beauties Gilbert. Nice work. Somebody is going to be a happy baker for sure.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Yet another item to add to my gotta try list! Very nice job Gilbert! Do the handles rotate independent of the cylinder?

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Beautiful....just beautiful!!!!!

David Fried
12-16-2006, 10:29 AM
I haven't finished one gift yet ! :eek: Time to git 'er done.

The rolling pin is beautiful but it was the holder that caught my eye. First time I've seen one! I think the holder is a great idea for displaying the piece and makes the rolling pin look really complete. I'm stealing this idea!!!

Great job!!

Curt Fuller
12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow! I'm impressed! Like the holder too.

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Gilbert - beautiful work!!

Showed my wife and she loved it! Now she wants me to make one for her - and our daughter and daughter-in-laws - so I am looking at making 5 rolling pins! You have a great design with the contrasting woods and holder.

Couple of 3 questions for you:

What kind of glue did you use?
What kind of finish?
Do the handles rotate?

Once again - beautiful work!

Ernie Nyvall
12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Some people are going to be very happy Gilbert. Nice job.

Hey, you could hold one up, turn it slowly, and say " MAAAAKE MEEEE A PIIIIIE". Just a thought.:rolleyes:

John Timberlake
12-16-2006, 2:44 PM
Great job. The bakers will love this gift. Like the vertical storage.

Paul Engle
12-16-2006, 3:50 PM
Good stuff there Gilbert , the rack is a great idea:D " a laminated one to match the pin " my wife says ... ut oh ...... back to the shop :eek: :D me an my big mouth ......:D

Gilbert Vega
12-16-2006, 4:40 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words.

As far as the questions:
1. I used Titebond III for the glue.

2.the finish is several coats of mineral oil with buffing (0000 steelwool) inbetween each coat. The handles as well as the rack are finished in lacquor for durability.

The handle does roll independant of the pin. The handle consists of fabbing a wood bushing, 1/2" diameter with a 3/8" hole. I used a stainless steel 3/8" x 5" lag screw with a washer (on some). The bolt goes in head first into the turned handle (1/2" hole) and the the bushing is glue with TB III. Make sure the lag screws rotates freely.

On the rolling pin side, I drill a 3/8" hole, again on the lathe, and glue in with epoxy. Everything has to be centered as well as possible for the pin to roll freely.

The rack's back is dado'd at each end for the bracket ends which is glued and screws with #6 brass screws. I haven't does it yet but the back will be covered in black felt to protect the wall finish. There is also a strip of blacj felt on the bottom chamfered hole to protect the lacquor finish on the handle.

Although the pin is fully functional, I felt the rack would be needed since someone may not want to use and get it "dirty".

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2006, 4:55 PM
These are really great Gilbert. Most impressive.

BTW - I tried fixing the links to photobucket so the images would automatically display and failed (which is not all that uncommon :eek: ). So I just saved them here and reloaded for you. Hope you don't mind.

Gilbert Vega
12-16-2006, 5:04 PM
Thanks Andy. I wasn't sure why the links didn't show the pictures.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2006, 5:25 PM
I noticed that photobucket now has an automatic copy feature when you click on one of the codes listed below the image. This might have twarted our efforts. Also, make sure you click/copy the IMG Code as opposed to the URL Link. I'll try an experiment.

Here's the URL Link: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/AndyHoyt944/TwoWheeledCar.gif

And here's the IMG Code: http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/AndyHoyt944/TwoWheeledCar.gif

Well - that worked okay. Might have something to do with you being in Texas, but who knows!

John Hart
12-17-2006, 6:18 AM
Wonderful gift Gilbert! I'm like Dave....no gift-making this year. You've also made it into a nice gift package. Nice way to go the extra mile.:)