PDA

View Full Version : Sunhill Machinery

Gregg Feldstone
12-16-2006, 2:18 AM
Does anyone use many Sunhill Mach. tools?
I just got their catalog and they seem to have great prices. An 8" jointer for $600. 13" planer for $300.
Just don't know anything about the quality. Help Please!!

Kevin Johnson
12-16-2006, 2:45 AM
I have their 6" jointer that I bought used about 5 years ago. I like it. I have had no problems with it. One thing that I really like about it is that the tables are extra long.

Jeff Fritzson
12-16-2006, 8:10 AM
Gregg,

I have their 8" jointer and have been very pleased with it. THe customer service is very good and the machine has performed very well. THe only issue I have had is one that would happen with any and that is a small chip in on eof the blades. A little shift and I they are fine. Mine was also shipped with an extra set of blades as well. I am currently debating about a byrd head but cannot seem to justify it yet.

Regards,
Jeff

scott spencer
12-16-2006, 8:18 AM
I don't have any Sunhill machines, but several of them come from the same factories as other respected brands like GI, Jet, Grizzly, Bridgewood, etc.

I'm not sure what advantage their $300 planer has over those locally available from Delta, DeWalt, Ridgid, or Makita though.

There's shipping costs that should be calculated when comparing other machines (which could include local taxes...) Their 6" long bed jointer looks like quite a deal for ~ $485 shipped. They offer it with a spiralhead cutter for ~ $590 shipped too. Check out their 10" hybrid TS...it's nearly identical to the GI 50-220.

http://sunhillmachinery.com/Table%20Saw%20CT250.jpg

http://www.general.ca/machines/gi/50/g_50220.jpg

Gregg Feldstone
12-17-2006, 8:10 PM
I see what you mean on those saws. The Sunhill goes for $695 and the GI costs $979!!
I'm seriously considering one of the Sunhill planers but the small portable models only have two knives. Is three a lot better? I'd rather spend more and get better results is that's the case. Also, what's the best place to buy the Sunhill machines from? The folks who sent me info are out of Seattle and called Sunhill Machinery.
Are they only factory direct like Grizzley?

Brian Knop
12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
I have the 6" jointer, works good and I would buy again.

glenn bradley
12-17-2006, 11:39 PM
I couldn't justify the DW735 with three knives and two speeds (I could now knowing how much I love this hobby) so I got the DW734 which is basically a 733 with three knives. It does do a better job than my buddy's 733 for not much more money.

scott spencer
12-18-2006, 6:14 AM
I see what you mean on those saws. The Sunhill goes for $695 and the GI costs $979!!
I'm seriously considering one of the Sunhill planers but the small portable models only have two knives. Is three a lot better? I'd rather spend more and get better results is that's the case. Also, what's the best place to buy the Sunhill machines from? The folks who sent me info are out of Seattle and called Sunhill Machinery.
Are they only factory direct like Grizzley?

In fairness to the GI, the 50-220 offers 3 fence options...@ $979 it probably has a Biese clone fence w/50" rip (50-220CLM1), the 50-220 M1 has the same fence as the Sunhill...not sure what the price is but it's probably a fair amount under $979. Add s/h to the Sunhill and the price gap probably closes somewhat, but I'd still expect some premium for the GI name, dealer network, and longer warranty. Of course if you mail order the GI, you'll pay s/h on that one too...