PDA

View Full Version : A few more turnings

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-09-2003, 2:30 PM
Messing around last night with a section of Oak Log I rescued from the Firewood stack, I always wanted to make a "Weed Pot", or at least try. I turned this small mushroom with what was left after I turned the Weed Pot. It had a slight crack near the top rim of the Weed Pot, but I closed it with CA glue, and it seem to be fine. I "spun" a couple of coats of Antique Oil on the pot and 'shroom, and I buffed the pot this morning. This Oak was very dry, and I was surprised how well it turned. Very little sanding was required on either piece.

The Pens are some I turned Saturday Evening also. The wood on the Flat top Pens are from left to right, Leopardwood and Walnut. The Slimline Pens are from left to right, Padouk and Yellowheart. The Pens were finished with Crystal Coat and a light coat with the PPP polish bar. I am amazed at the instant and outstanding finish that the Crystal Coat provides...........very nice and easy to apply. All in all, a great weekend of turning.............thanks for taking a look, and as always, it is a pleasure to share my work with everyone. :)

Jim Becker
11-09-2003, 2:51 PM
That 'shroom is outstanding with the coloration around the rim very much mimicing what a "real" one might look like. Good choice of blank and orientation!

I also like the shape of the other piece...very pleasant, Kevin. You might try another similar piece and slim down the top a bit to keep more of the "weight" down in the base. "Weight" is both physical and visual in that context. Making the top a little more delicate will really set this type of vessel off nicely.

Terry Quiram
11-09-2003, 7:09 PM
Holy cow man!!! Don't you ever sleep? :D I know so many things to turn and so little time. Nice collection. Ain't mushrooms a buzz?

Terry

Mike Evertsen
11-09-2003, 8:50 PM
Kevin you are doing a great job with turning I might have to come south for a lesson,,,,,,

Tom Sweeney
11-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Great job on the shroom & the weed pot - They look MARRVELOUS! :D

The pens are great also - wonderful choice of woods!

Your turnings keep getting better & better Kevin! :cool:

Doug Jones
11-10-2003, 4:38 AM
More fine work Kevin, You pieces are always inspirational. How soon can we expect the "Wood Turning by Kevin" book to be out at our local stores?

John Miliunas
11-10-2003, 8:26 AM
Enough already, Kev! Sheeesh...Although I've got my spinning station setup and ready, too many other "new house/shop" projects are keeping me from firing it up. By the time I do, it's gonna' take a heckuva' an effort to catch up to you! I especially like the 'shroom. Very well done! :cool:

Phil Phelps
11-10-2003, 8:43 AM
..that's what I did when I first made pens. Mix it up and try different woods. Great variety and nice photography.

Matt Bridges
11-11-2003, 10:27 PM
WOW! Awesome job. I love the mushroom and everything else looks great too.

Matt

Richard Allen
11-12-2003, 9:29 AM
Hi Kevin

The mushroom is real nice. Have you thought of mulit axis for the mushroom? The stem at one axis and the cap at a different axis.

The first demo I ever saw of woodturning was turning a mushroom. It was multi axis. I had been turning for a couple of months and it never occoured to me that you could remount a piece of wood with different axis to give the turning a bend.

Good work Noah