PDA

View Full Version : Tool or runway

Reg Mitchell
12-15-2006, 7:48 PM
Though you guys night like to see the joiner i picked up last week and hoisted into the shop. What a beast.
Its a 12" Porter and has a 4 knife cutter head. I will be trying to get it along with a few other things hooked up and running over the holidays
Reg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop114.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop108.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop104.jpg

Mike Cutler
12-15-2006, 8:02 PM
Wow Reg! That looks in really good shape. A little cleaning and some wiring and it look like you'll be all set to go.

Nice machine. How come I can never find one.:confused:

Jim Becker
12-15-2006, 8:05 PM
Reg, that looks like a very nice project for you! Nice "arhn"!!!! I'm looking forward to the results of your efforts and also hope you'll post progress pictures along the way. I find I always learn interesting things when folks do that... ;)

Reg Mitchell
12-15-2006, 9:24 PM
Reg, that looks like a very nice project for you! Nice "arhn"!!!! I'm looking forward to the results of your efforts and also hope you'll post progress pictures along the way. I find I always learn interesting things when folks do that... ;)
This one is ready to run. It has a plug already wired in. all I need to do is drop a line and pipe for the dust colecter and its good to go. I wight put some paint on it this summer if I am not busy but for now it wipe er dwona dn put it to work
Mike I may have one in f few days I would be willing to sell.It's a northfield 12 incher. Not sure I can get it yet but I have my fingers crossed
Reg

lou sansone
12-15-2006, 9:42 PM
nice porter .. they had very nice cutter heads, some I have seen had jacking screws for the knives which makes setting them pretty easy. you will like the direct drive as well. best wishes
lou

Reg Mitchell
12-15-2006, 9:45 PM
Hey lou. Yes this one has all of them. It is also a 4 knife head. Its a sweet joiner and should out last me....well in this life time anyway
Reg :D

Jim DeLaney
12-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks like it's direct drive? Single or three phase?

Reg Mitchell
12-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Looks like it's direct drive? Single or three phase?
Good eye Jim. It's direct drive and 3hp 3ph. Porter and Oliver have the largest dia head at 5" for Porter and I think Oliver has a 5" dia head also. I am sure Lou knows for sure. Its a good choice for one reason I can run 2 carbide tiped blades and 2 HSS. The HSS will give me the nice smooth cutting and the carbide will take care of anythin that gets tough + I will only have to sharpen 2 blades when the times comes. The others you can't run that way because of the balanceing involved. The heads are balanced to 10,000 rpm's. I can't wait to get this thing up and running.:D
Reg

lou sansone
12-16-2006, 8:05 AM
the newman 60 also has a big head, on the order of 5 to 5-1/2 diameter. That is why when you turn these things on they have that distinctive "air plane" getting ready to take off sound. The porter 16" is considered by many the best of the best for that size jointer. I almost bought one when I purchased my newman 60. I actully would have bought it, but the tops of the tables were so bad that the machine was useless. Someone had been using the tops of the porter 300 for an anvil in a pallet factory to clinch over the heads of nails ( dont understand why). There were 1/4" divots all over the surface of the table tops, that would have required a lot of grinding to remove. the reason that all of these old machines are so nice is that the tables are not ground, but surfaced with a shaper.
lou

Jack Dickey
12-16-2006, 8:14 AM
You people are no help around here , old tools are my weakness ..
Nice Reg ..

Reg Mitchell
12-16-2006, 9:16 AM
smiling...they're out there to be had Jack. I saw one,a 12" Northfield , in a factory this week sitting in the back covered in about 4 inches of dust. I inquired about it and the guy said it haden't been used siince 98. I am trying to steal, er um buy itso I can get it back into shape to run. Just waiting for a price.

Reg