PDA

View Full Version : ShopFox planer/moulder footprint dimensions?

Paul Simmel
12-15-2006, 6:04 PM
Overall length is 33”. That’s with the in feed and out feed rollers? So, anyone know if this mobile base will be long enough?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g7314

What’s your footprint size?

Thanks, I’d like to order tonight.

Keith Outten
12-15-2006, 7:14 PM
Paul,

Which ShopFox planer/moulder? Mine came with a stand that the legs were drilled and taped and ready for wheels.

Paul Simmel
12-15-2006, 8:59 PM
Keith,

From Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0488

After looking through the catalogue I see that that mobile base will work after all. I really like these bases. They are extremely well made for the $$$ IMO.

Thanks.

Keith Outten
12-15-2006, 9:31 PM
Paul,

The cabinet on this machine is very sturdy, just drop by the Borg and pckup a good set of locking casters and save your money.

Paul Simmel
12-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Keith.

I ordered one anyway. For me (like the saying goes for clamps) I can never have enough mobile bases! I will very likely take your advice and get some casters and use the base for another application. In the new shop I am going to roll everything… semi-industrial shelving units… everything.

It will be a while till I get setup. But after I get going on a few things I will resurrect the old SF moulder thread. I’m looking forward to that.

Take care.

Keith Outten
12-16-2006, 9:16 AM
About half of my shop tools are mobile. I use casters if the tool's base is strong enough or hydraulic tables for small tools that don't have their own base like my Jet Mini Lathe and my Performax 10/20 drum sander. For the haevy tools i make my own base, my mill/drill is over 500 pounds so I welded a base made from heavy angle iron.

There was a time when every machine in my shop had its own footprint and never had to be moved. Since a bought my ShopBot many tools have to be moved in order to use them. The Bot took up almost 25% of my floor space, just before it arrived I had to sell a couple machines to make room and I have to store my sandblast cabinet and place my air compressor in a storage building. I will never have enough shop space :)