PDA

View Full Version : HI - An Introduction

Wayne Gordon
12-15-2006, 6:01 PM
I've lurked here for quite a while, so I thought It was time to introduce myself. I've only been doing this wood working thing for about two years. Before that, I'd never ever turned on a table saw or made anything from wood.

I'd spent 20 years working in group homes for those less fortunate than myself. But finally I had to get out of it and find something else to do.

After watching an episode of David Marks show about making butcher blocks, I decided to give it a try. Well, 175 butcher blocks and cutting boards later, they're paying for drum sanders and more lumber. I'll never make a living at this but I think I can stay even.

The best thing is that before my father (a retired carpenter) died this year I was finally able to relate to his world of wood working.

Jerry Strojny
12-15-2006, 6:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek Wayne. It's great. And so is the butcher block. Isn't it great when a hobby becomes self sustaining? (Now if I could just figure out how to do that for myself...)

Brad Noble
12-15-2006, 6:37 PM
Welcome to the 'creek'. Nice looking work you have there. Looking forward to more.

Brad

Jack Dickey
12-15-2006, 6:57 PM
Awesome Butcher Block , and congrats on finally signing up ..

everett lowell
12-15-2006, 7:09 PM
Welcome to the 'creek Wayne, I think you'll like it here!:)btw, nice work- more pics please!

Ted Calver
12-15-2006, 7:43 PM
Wayne,
Welcome!! I really like that board and am trying to imagine the glue-up necessary to get all that character. Nice work

John Bailey
12-15-2006, 7:49 PM
Welcome to the "Creek" Wayne. Butcher block looks great, and the experience with your dad must mean a lot to you.

Again, welcome to the "Creek."

John

Jim Becker
12-15-2006, 8:02 PM
Welcome to the "non-lurking" side of the 'Creek, Wayne!! That's a very nice looking butcher block, too.

Don Bullock
12-15-2006, 8:29 PM
Welcome. I'm fairly new here myself. Thanks for your contribution. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

patrick anderson
12-15-2006, 10:07 PM
as a fellow newbie, welcome mate.

that a really nice block you made.....you should push that at some of the "upmarket" cooking supply places ;)

lou sansone
12-16-2006, 8:07 AM
hi wayne
welcome to the creek
lou

Dave Ray
12-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome to SMC, please show more pic's. Great looking butcherblock.