PDA

View Full Version : Another hollowing tool option

David Walser
12-15-2006, 3:08 PM
At last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup, one of the vendors demonstrated the Elbo Tool. I was very impressed. The tool uses an articulated arm clamped to the tailstock quill to control the cutting action. It seemed very slick.

Any of you had a chance to use this tool? If so, what are your thoughts? Here's a link to the maker's web site:

http://www.elbotool.com/index.html

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2006, 9:10 PM
Nope....never seen it.....but it does look rather interesting.

Kevin McPeek
12-16-2006, 1:10 AM
Those things were selling like crazy. They just didn't grab me though.

Tom Sherman
12-16-2006, 7:43 AM
This is the first I have heard of it also, and while it does look interesting I have some concerns about the joints seems like one would have to really be on his toes when using it to make sure to tighten all those pivots. Would like to hear from someone using one.

David Walser
12-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I was all set to buy the Monster Tool complete set (with laser), when I remembered seeing the Elbo Tool (that's the way he spells it). While I thought the Monster Tool was a good deal at $450, the Elbo Tool (with laser) only costs $294. It also looks cool, which might be just as important. The Monster Tool set comes with more stuff and I still think it's a good deal. But...

David Walser
12-16-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't want to get into a debate about which of these systems is the better deal. I realize that many members of this forum have the Monster Tool. I respect them a lot. I also know that you can use the Monster Tool for things other than hollow forms. You don't need to use the tool freehand or captured. (I even hear it is great at cleaning off the grill!) All very cool.

I think, eventually, I'd like to have both the Monster Tool captured set AND the Elbo Tool. (I like tools.)

There. Did I avoid a flame war? :)

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2006, 12:27 PM
I recall hearing about the elbo earlier this year, but never followed up. After a quick tour of the site just now, I have a few observations to share.

I see a lot of links and connections in the system. Each one seems prone to developing "issues" after being in a constant state of torque. This could lead to adjustment problems; and worse - vibration, especially way out at the cutter. I'd rather spend time fussing with the piece being turned than the tool itself. With a d-handle rig, there are no moving or articulating parts so the vibration concern just doesn't seem to be an issue.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a spec indicating the depth potential with the setup.

The vertical and horizontal members of the laser rig appear significantly shorter than the Monster laser rig, thereby also limiting vessel dimensions and hollowing capabilities.

After combining these few concerns into an opinion, I'd say that maybe the thing would be just fine for someone who will be using it on a smaller lathe, but the re-use potential after upgrading to a larger machine will cause headaches.

Seems as though the whole affair was designed for someone who's not too handy with tools and is incapable of fabricating their own rig. And that sounds a bit counterintuitive to my assessment of most turners.

On the plus side it might be handy for someone with limited shop space since a standard rear rest needs lots of clearance on both sides of a lathe.

David Fried
12-16-2006, 1:01 PM
Not knowing anything about anything, could someone post a link to this Monster Rig please. I'd like to see it.

Andy Hoyt
12-16-2006, 1:23 PM
Here's Monster's front page, Dave.

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/

You'll have to noodle around a bit. Kinda hard to find everything.

Travis Stinson
12-16-2006, 7:39 PM
I'm with Andy. I don't care to have any articulating joints to have to worry about getting sticky with dust, or weakening due to stress. A good D handle in a captured rest is hard to beat. ;)