PDA

View Full Version : Time and tools used..

Mark Singer
12-15-2006, 1:51 PM
There are several threads now that relate to time... Having just almost completed the the Bath Cabinet http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46602&highlight=bath+cabinet
I.... kept a mental note of relative time on machines and time with hand tools....

On this highly detailed cabinet the cabinet saw work probably only represented 5% of the time spent...there were tricky cuts...rabbetts and t and G joints...

The work on my jointer/ planer/ mortiser was substantial probably 15 to 20% and most of that was on the mortiser.

My bandsaws were working a lot too....resawing drawer sides...making tenon stock and other tasks....5%

Trim router and Bosch Colt... Hinges and some edges 2%
Sanders...including hand and drum sander...the drum sander was a real time saver....I could have worked with out it...it would have taken twice as long!......5%

You probably saw plenty of curly shavings on the floor....Planes and scrapers... LV shoulder..ECE Primus...LN 102...LN 601/2....LV BU smoother...Clifton #4...LV Jack probably a solid 5%

Handsaws on dovetails and other stuff....a good 10%

Chisels and I had my LN's and a set of Japanese dovetail chisels...a fine pair of old Japanese paring chisels and some older socket chisels...10%

Marking and measuring various squares...marking and bevel gauges...Knives....a good 10%

Rasps, faring boards and fids... Shaping the drawers a good 5%

Knives and scrapers on detail work...5 %...

Finishing was about 5% using wax ...steel wool and the Rotex to buff out

You can see that machinery plays a lesser roll on this type of work...I saved a lot of time using it, and the machines greatly improved the quality of work...

The handtools are all important and really make the piece...I greatly enjoy the all engulfing mental involvement that hand tools and the work create...lunch...drinks and even rest room breaks become secondary:rolleyes:

Dave Anderson NH
12-15-2006, 2:37 PM
Interesting commentary Mark. Very skewed numbers from the way I work, but not surprising given your design and the choice of a wax finish. A simplified version of my style when making 18th century stuff would run more like:

Power tool stock prep: 15% Planer, jointer, bandsaw

Hand cut joinery: 35%

Assembly and glueup: 10% hide glue

Finishing and prep for finishing: 40% dye, oil, shellac

Boy do the different styles of work and the finishes make a difference in the distribution of time.

Mark Singer
12-15-2006, 2:40 PM
Interesting commentary Mark. Very skewed numbers from the way I work, but not surprising given your design and the choice of a wax finish. A simplified version of my style when making 18th century stuff would run more like:

Power tool stock prep: 15% Planer, jointer, bandsaw

Hand cut joinery: 35%

Assembly and glueup: 10% hide glue

Finishing and prep for finishing: 40% dye, oil, shellac

Boy do the different styles of work and the finishes make a difference in the distribution of time.

Actually our numbers would almost match if I had a normal finishing schedual....Seal a cell...etc. Hand tools are a big part of what we do!

Ted Calver
12-15-2006, 8:12 PM
A view from the other end of the spectrum: Contemplating making something over a glass of world class Amarone from my favorite Lago de Garda producer after a very long day in the trenches--95%; Trying to remember where I left my marking knife-- 4%. The other 1%... ? Thanking my lucky stars I don't have to rely on my woodworking skills to pay the rent!!

Mike Cutler
12-15-2006, 8:25 PM
Mark and Dave.

Interesting numbers. I find that as I've gotten older, the handtools are increasing in use,and the machines decreasing.
I don't know what this means. Maybe some of Ted's Amarone could help me to clarify.

lou sansone
12-15-2006, 9:47 PM
since most of my stuff tends toward 18th century as well, my numbers are also close to dave's . interesting thought
lou