PDA

View Full Version : Storage cabinets-shop built or built-in-place?

Bob Childress
12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
We are finally getting my 84 year old aunt out of her house and into a condo. She has asked (ordered, actually :D ) me to build in a storage unit across one side of a room. It will be approx. 92" wide X 84" high X 20" deep. She wants doors top and bottom, adjustable shelves, etc. In general, a doable project. But . . .

what I want is your opinions on the difference between building it in modules (therefore having access to all the tools in my shop) or building it in-place (therefore not lugging around heavy unit pieces but limited tool access), or some combination. What has been your experience either way?

Also, I'm inclined to build separate base and upper units if I build modules, again to help hold down the weight of the pieces. Any opinions on that?

All input welcome. Thanks. :)

Al Willits
12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I would think the module approch would make it easier to move into the condo and when she decides later she wants them on a different wall...
You know how them women and furniture are...:)

Al

Ken Garlock
12-15-2006, 12:15 PM
It is my understanding that the condo owner only owns the space inside of their unit from the paint inward. My information is pretty old, but that is how one condo dweller explained it to me. So, consider that making a built-in may be against the homeowners rules and need specific approval. Of course, a movable unit shouldn't be a problem.:)

Build the modules in the shop. It seems like the easiest way to me.

Ed Blough
12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
We are finally getting my 84 year old aunt out of her house and into a condo. She has asked (ordered, actually :D ) me to build in a storage unit across one side of a room. It will be approx. 92" wide X 84" high X 20" deep. She wants doors top and bottom, adjustable shelves, etc. In general, a doable project. But . . .

what I want is your opinions on the difference between building it in modules (therefore having access to all the tools in my shop) or building it in-place (therefore not lugging around heavy unit pieces but limited tool access), or some combination. What has been your experience either way?

Also, I'm inclined to build separate base and upper units if I build modules, again to help hold down the weight of the pieces. Any opinions on that?

All input welcome. Thanks. :)

Bob
If you build it in place you can use it to justify buying Festool tools. I'm told they are just the thing for this type of project where dust must be controlled, precision is demanded and heavy equipment is not possible.

Or you can become an old world craftsman like my neighbor used. They found a Ukrainian craftsman to build in some book cases for them. I watched in awe as this man built the 8.5ftx20ft cases using only hand tools. He even ripped lumber 8.5ft using a hand saw and just smiled at me when I offered to rip them for him on my table saw. He said it took too long.
Watching him hand plane the wood so it fit tight to the wall was inspiring. He did it by sight and could shave off shavings that you could see light through that were 8.5ft in length. When he was finished you couldn't slip a piece of paper between the wall and the book case and he did each unright it in a matter of minutes.
He apologized for his work it seems a lot of his tools were lost or tied up in transit coming from the Ukraine and he was forced to use some of his rough carpentry tools on the case.
The may have been rough carpentry to him but they were polished diamonds to me. They were well used but also well cared for.

I was really sad when he was finished.
Sorry for rambling on

Paul Zonneveld
12-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I really liked Norm Abrams approach in one of his recent PBS shows. He built an entire wall unit in the shop in a manner that could be broken down and installed in the intended location. The way he did the face frames etc allowed for some dissambly to a module level and then reassembly at the site. Kind of the best of both worlds in MHO.

John Schreiber
12-15-2006, 2:21 PM
Or you can become an old world craftsman like my neighbor used.
It is such a joy to see a true professional craftsman at work. It is like they are inside the project as is happening making everything fit effortlessly. It is inspiring for me and depressing for me. They show how much I have to learn.

Ted Miller
12-15-2006, 2:55 PM
Ken,

I am on the Board of Association for our HOA and you have every right to build anything you would like inside your condo, the inside is your domain, now you can alert us and let us know what changes you would like to do but you do not need our approval on the interior. Now when it comes to the outside of the unit, different story, we the HOA own the outside walls, doors, windows, garage doors, grounds and paint, so then you need permission to make changes.

As for Bob's question I would opt for modules so they can be moved and even changed to different rooms or design with ease. I personally would not want to have lug half my shop to the job site, I may lose one of my precious tools...

Jim O'Dell
12-15-2006, 3:23 PM
I'd take good measurements and build it in modules in my shop (if it was finished:D ) then transport them to the condo and install. Just like building kitchen cabinets, only the uppers sit on the lowers...well... you know. That is, unless you never listen to music when you are woodworking, or really, REALLY, like your aunt's company:rolleyes: Jim.

Ken Baker
12-15-2006, 9:49 PM
I'm in a similar situation - although mine is in my house. Roughly 10 Ft wide 8 ft high.

The approach I am going to take is rough build it in the shop and then assemble in place. However what I am going to attempt is to do the carcasses in modules, but do the face frame as 1 piece.

patrick anderson
12-15-2006, 9:59 PM
Bob
I watched in awe as this man built the 8.5ftx20ft cases using only hand tools.
I was really sad when he was finished.
Sorry for rambling on

I think you were very fortunte to have had such a show mate.

Bob,

Measure the space and then work out a module that fits in with a bit spare on the sides, you can always scribe your filler piece on site

Paul Simmel
12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Bob,

The only reason you don’t build in the shop, transport and install at the site, is when you don’t have a shop.

Eric Shields
12-16-2006, 7:07 AM
Bob,

My first Commission (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46587&highlight=commission+complete) was a project similar to yours, though the top section was not enclosed. I built the unit in 6 individual modules, plus face frames and molding in my shop and then transported/installed on site.

Though the transport was a little hairy, the installation (invastion) into my customers house was limited to only a few days. I was able to work on the project even where there was not a lot of time to do so, because it was in my shop and not a 20-25 min drive to the site. I also liked this fo no other reason than I had full access to my tools at all stages of construction.

Hope you find the method that works best for your situation. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Eric

Bob Childress
12-16-2006, 7:36 AM
Thanks to everyone. Modular it is!! ;) It makes perfect sense, of course, but I had to ask since it is the first large project I've undertaken for someone else's home. And it's my favorite aunt, so the results must be good or else. :D During my recent kitchen remodel, I noticed that the kitchen cabinets in my 1970's home had been built in place and just wondered.

Now to come up with a couple of designs and let her choose which she likes best. :)

Eric Shields
12-16-2006, 7:57 AM
Now to come up with a couple of designs and let her choose which she likes best.

If you have yet to download or learn SketchUp this is the perfect application. In my refrenced project above, was how I learned the power and time saving aspects of SketchUp.

Eric

Dave Falkenstein
12-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks to everyone. Modular it is!! ;) ...
Now to come up with a couple of designs and let her choose which she likes best. :)

If you need some ideas on modular storage cabinets, take a look at the Mills Pride line that Home Depot sells. They have cabinets for closets, garages and kitchens. There are several modules that are sold as garage cabinets and/or "wardrobes" that would come mighty close to the dimensions you mentioned in your original post. I have assembled and installed these cabinets in lots of homes, and the results are pleasing to the eye and functional.