PDA

View Full Version : Help With New Lathe Selection

Christopher K. Hartley
12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
The first quarter of 07 I'm planning on getting a new lathe. I have focused on three different ones for different reasons.

My first choice would be the VB-36 Master Bowlturner with the standard tail stock. This would be a 3 HP machine and is the one I really like but it would take my entire budget just for the lathe. This is one impressive machine!

My second choice would be the Oneway 2436 3 HP and the Large Outboard Extension. I also really like this lathe but again with this setup my budget is expended.

My last choice is the Powermatic 4224 again with 3 HP. with this lathe I can get the outboard extension and rest and still have funds to get a stronghold chuck and a new chainsaw (Stihl MS260 Pro). I know the last choice makes more sense from a dollar perspective but I just can't get completely comfortable with the Powermatic. Other than the way the dollar stacks up against the British pound I'm not sure why the Powermatic is so much more inexpensive. Is it really on par with the Oneway and is the VB-36 that far out in front of both. any help would really be appreciated I know many of you use Powermatic and are totally sold on them.:)

Jon Shively
12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
My reaction to your query is, go with the first or second choice. They are what you prefer and really want (that is why they are your top two choices I assume). With one of these in your shop you won't moan about really wanting the other lathe. Then, turn it on and make some shavings and sell those made items to earn the money for the chainsaw.

Paul Engle
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Jon makes sense, if you ever bought a tool based on $ instead of comfort you begin to doubt the equipt or your self and never really get comfortable with the one you bought. I found myself end up buying the one I was comfortable with and selling ( or trying to ) the one I got for the wrong reasons:( .

David Fried
12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
My reaction is, I should have such problems! I like your choices and when window shopping have wondered the same thing.

My only concern with the VB machine is how you use accessories like steadies and coring tools without standard ways to attach them to. Otherwise, the video of them turning a good sized chuck of tree is incredibly impressive!

I like the idea of getting all the lathe you can and the chain saw will follow.

Good Luck!

Gary DeWitt
12-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't have any experience with those 3 lathes, but I have owned mid-70s Powermatic iron. If they still keep up the same standards, that lathe should be a good one. All cast iron where possible, and very thick sheet metal for cabinet. More horsepower than minimally needed.

Do you currently have an operational chainsaw? If you don't, that might tip the decision.

Brian McInturff
12-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Going by your first 2 choices seems you can eliminate the 3rd choice. Looks like you are going for bowl turning mainly and want large capacity. Yes the Powermatic will do large capacity but only 24". Headstock doesn't slide and no outboard turning as far as I know. I looked at the VB when I was making my decision just recently and almost bought a used one. I also looked at the 2416 with outboard attachments and finally decided on the Stubby. It's more versatile in my opinion. I also looked at the Vicmarc VL300 and was pretty well sold on it but again the Stubby lured me in. Money wasn't going to be a big driving force in my decision. I figured if I was spending this kind of money then get what I wanted at no matter what the cost. You can always add the other toys later. One disadvantage for me on the VB was the spindle height. It just wasn't comfortable and standing on a platform just wasn't logical in my setup plus I could see myself tripping over the platform as it would have to go all the way around the lathe. The Oneway would just take up way too much space for my little shop even going with the 2416.
Lastly, which ones have you turned on and which was most comfortable for you. This has to be the first or second reason for picking whichever one you pick. Brian

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Don't rule out the Robust family of lathes, Chris. They're awfully nice.

Insert shameless plug for a Oneway 1640 with outboard extenstion here. More capacity than you can shake a stick at and comes in a great color too.

And yes, take a spin on all of these before you decide.

Mike Johnson
12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Although not mentioned as a possibility, I would recommend you look at the Vicmac VL-300. I have the long bed version with the outboard attachment and I have been very happy with it. When turning outboard, the position of you and the blank is exactly the same as when using the VB. And, you have a large bed always available if you want to start the piece between centers or use bed mounted accessories. I have the stand supplied by the Vicmarc factory which I would highly recommend over the stands added in the US.

Of course, any of these choices will turn beautiful work as large as you could want. Just decide on the features you like best.

Mark Pruitt
12-15-2006, 11:48 AM
It's not every day that I hear someone voice concern that a PM 4224 might be less than satisfying!:eek: Wow, Chris. Sounds like even the money is bigger in Texas!:D

I think the best advice of all is to put in some time on all three! With that size of an investment you certainly want to know that you got it right.

John Hart
12-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm a little bit jealous and alot happy that you have such a decision to make. Have fun with it Chris!!! All part of the adventure. :)

Ted Calver
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Chris,
My PM 4224 does everything I need it to do. Granted the headstock does not slide, but it does do outboard turning up to the height of the lathe off the floor (with a very sturdy PM accessory floor rest). Fit and finish are decent; variable speed from 100rpm on up to scary; remote switch; vacuum pump works good with it, etc. Drawbacks so far (after 3 years) Remote switch failed twice and it was like pulling teeth to get a new one under warranty. If John Lucas hadn't posted a repair for it on another forum, it would still be broken, and I haven't found a decent mobility kit for it yet. If I had more money I'd have picked the Oneway with stainless steel ways and all the bells and whistles, but for now the PM will do me just fine.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Well I'm a mustard man and have been very happy with it. That being said in my mind I'd rule out the VB because all tho the 36" swing is nice I can't see a need for turning something that big. A 36" bowl might be an impressive sight but what are you gonna do with it. Andy can't even eat that much ice cream and I have heard that the Larger bowls don't sell to well. The price is also a factor as you all ready know. My PM3520 can turn a bowl that big do to the sliding head stock and using the $200 extension mounted down low on the leg but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Now I can't believe I'm gonna say this and I'm probably gonna delete this when I come to my sense's ,but If I hadda choose between the remaining 2 I'd choose the Oneway. This does not mean that I'm gonna change my avatar because I think I can turn out as good of a turning with my PM as I could with the Oneway, but the Oneway has some kind of stigma about it and is a very heavy last lathe you'll ever buy kinda product. When I was shopping for a lathe the Oneway was on the top of my list but my wallet said no! I still can't believe that the PM is sold at the price that it is. They could add another grand to the price and I think it would still sell well. It's a very great value and in my mind can't be beat. I can't see you ever regretting the purchace of either lathe. JMHO so take it with a grain of salt.

Charles E. Martin V
12-15-2006, 1:50 PM
I think part of the reason the VB is so expensive, aside from the currency exchange rate, is that the tech comes to your house to help you set it up. From your 3 choices I would probably go with the VB, but like Andy I'll also throw the Robust in the ring.

Mark Pruitt
12-15-2006, 2:02 PM
I still can't believe that the PM is sold at the price that it is. They could add another grand to the price and I think it would still sell well.
Kurt, please don't say that!:eek: I haven't bought mine yet!!!:p

Frank Kobilsek
12-15-2006, 4:13 PM
Chris

A different angle: You can always make more money but you probably won't buy another lathe.

That said I like PMs ... hope to someday soon move from Miracle Whip to Mustard.

Frank

Jim Becker
12-15-2006, 5:20 PM
One of the first two...the PM 4224 isn't really comparable, IMHO, to the class that the others are. And don't rule out Stubby...30" swing. Inboard. And it doesn't take up half your shop, either.

Robust also has a very nice machine. Sam Blasco has one and really has said nice things about it. (I've been pressing him to do a review here on it)

Jim Ketron
12-15-2006, 5:24 PM
Christopher when looking to buy the (last Lathe) take into consideration of what you turn now and what you plan to turn in the future!
The VB is a hoss no doubt but IMO you will have to buy so many accessories to be able to turn much besides bowls.
I looked for a lathe that was powerful, versatile, and durable for many different types of turning that I wanted to do or try in the future.
Thats why I choose the PM 3520. Might not be my last lathe but It will be a long time before I outgrow it, with its movable headstock and the capability of outboard turning along with a solid bed for my captured hollowing rig.

Curt Fuller
12-15-2006, 8:09 PM
I'm going to say either a big Mayo or the the 3520 B. 20+ inches of swing is a lot of bowl and you do that inboard on either, even bigger if you go out board. But the VB lathe would fall short the day you decide you'd like to turn the posts for a bed or something like that. Just my 2 cents worth.

Ernie Nyvall
12-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Chris, The Cutting Edge down on the beltway has a 2436 (I believe) set up for turning in their classroom. They have one night a week that people come in and turn... I believe for free. You could call them to be sure. I have the PM3520 and you are certainly welcome to come over and try it out.

Dave Ray
12-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Chris, like you I am looking. Like Jim says don't rule out the Stubby. Check out this site http://www.stubbylatheusa.com./cgi-bin/index.py

Usual disclaimer... no connection what so ever, just checking available lathes.

Steven DeMars
12-16-2006, 11:01 AM
The The Cutting Edge in Houston has some nicely custom designed, sturdy mobility kits for the PMs . . . One of the reasons I'm looking at PM 3520B from them . . .

Christopher K. Hartley
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I think some mail I received today just narrowed the field. I received my stats, pricing and video on the VB-36 today. Price is up and with the tail stock, it looks like it may be just shy of 10 grand. If that is the case the value just plummeted for me big time.

Everything I read says the Oneway outclasses the PM, but to be real honest I cant find any facts to back it up. I read from the articles written on the web no hard reasons for to the difference. It's not that I think the PM isn't up to par, I just can't seem to find out why the big price difference exists.

After visiting the web sites for these two products these companies need a lesson in selling FAB(Feature, Advantage, Benefit). I did look at the Stubby, the Vicmarc and the Robust. The Robust looked good except for the weight. It only tops the scales at about the same as my Jet 1442. I need more bulk than that.

I'm still looking and open to any additional info. Thanks guys.:)