PDA

View Full Version : Art Friday

Frank Kobilsek
12-15-2006, 8:51 AM
OK here is an art piece for Friday. I bought a big box of stabilized bottle stopper blanks and there are some that are much longer than I need for stoppers, but maybe too short to be two stoppers. It seemed like I should design something that would use the piece whole. I made a small thin plate of maple and mounted on top of a pedestal of dyed box elder burl. Not a very functional piece but has a cool art look to it.

Ken, that is the end of the the pictures for the week. With some of the notes about photography posted this week maybe I can refine my photo studio over the holidays and make picture taking less of a pain. Then I won't be holding out so bad.

Frank

Mark Pruitt
12-15-2006, 9:43 AM
I just love the form of that platter! Very well done. The dyed base really sets it off too.

Jim Becker
12-15-2006, 9:44 AM
I like this piece, Frank!

Oh, adjusting your photo background to white or 18% grey will help you acheive some additional success in that department. I use an old white window shade currently, but will likely "upgrade" to an 18% background when I get back to turning a bit...

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2006, 9:54 AM
Beautiful piece Frank. Love the base. Form and finish are great. Nice job.

Keith Burns
12-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Another winner Frank. :) I've enjoyed your week full of turnings:) :)

Gary DeWitt
12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Good form, reminds me of early/mid century modern. Photo's not bad, either, just wish there was a straight on view as well.

Ed Scolforo
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Interesting piece, Frank. That maple is pretty.
Ed

Frank Kobilsek
12-15-2006, 3:52 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you for humoring me this week. Project went bad at work this week and you guys were the only positive reinforcement I got all week. Pictures will be better and more often next year.

Now its home to host the School/Church staff Christmas party at my house. Tommorow its Toys for Tots until about 3:00 and maybe back to the shop by evening. One more platter, a Rosary Box and about 18 stoppers left and Christmas list will be done.

Have a great weekend.

Frank

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2006, 5:49 PM
Very nice work Frank! Have to ask what kind of dye you used? Have to try that sometime!

Tom Sherman
12-16-2006, 7:23 AM
Frank I know what you mean I have been on an undesireable project for the past month also and have one more week to go. I have been rushed in every area of my life because of it and have not had much shop time. I really like this project lots of figure in the maple. Hope to spend some time at a lathe today not mine but a friend has a new Jet 1442 and has asked that I come show him some things, he is also a new turner and very unsure of his techniques(boy that's rich me only been turning a little over a year gonna show somebody how). Anyhow I like your work keep up the good work, and put the pressure on Ken he thrives on it you know.

Ernie Nyvall
12-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Very nice platter Frank.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2006, 8:15 PM
Beautiful platter Frank! If I call you out next week will you grace with another weeks production?