PDA

View Full Version : ? on friction polish

Larry Crim
12-15-2006, 8:33 AM
Using mylands friction polish is it Ok to put another clear coat over it like poly or armor seal?
Thanks
Larry

Robert McGowen
12-15-2006, 3:02 PM
or spray on lacquer?

Mike Vickery
12-15-2006, 4:04 PM
I have heard of people doing it and claiming that it was sucessful.

Personally I would not do it due to the fact most friction polishes have wax in them. Only thing I would ever put over a friction polish is wax.

If for some reason I really, really needed to top coat over a friction polish for some reason I would seal in with dewaxed shellac before using another topcoat.

George Tokarev
12-16-2006, 7:06 AM
or spray on lacquer?

Lacquer thinner is some evil stuff. Probably turn the friction shine into mush. If the friction polish is based on shellac rather than lacquer, alcohol, as in more shellac, would have to be applied carefully.

No lover of friction polishes and the mess they can make, I prefer shellac and a lap. You'd be surprised how quickly you can build a class A finish with some soft cotton muslin and a bit of grapeseed oil for a pad lube. Won't make you the ruler of the queen's navy, but it's still rewarding.

Glenn Hodges
12-16-2006, 8:34 AM
As previously stated above some like it, but I had difficulty with it.

Larry Crim
12-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the replies I originally tried the friction polish because I was short on time and wanted to get a shine quick but I am finding the polish is hardet to apply than I thought it is leaving small streaks I think from the wax and I tried several applications at several speeds but still the same also tried several different cloths, when I use steel wool to buff out the streaks it leaves a very smooth finish that I think the poly will build on very quickly that was the reason for the original ?, I think I will try poly on one and shellac on another and see what the results are.
Thanks
Larry

Alan Tolchinsky
12-16-2006, 8:02 PM
Lacquer thinner is some evil stuff. Probably turn the friction shine into mush. If the friction polish is based on shellac rather than lacquer, alcohol, as in more shellac, would have to be applied carefully.

No lover of friction polishes and the mess they can make, I prefer shellac and a lap. You'd be surprised how quickly you can build a class A finish with some soft cotton muslin and a bit of grapeseed oil for a pad lube. Won't make you the ruler of the queen's navy, but it's still rewarding.

George, Would you mind elaborating on your method. Can you use other pad lubes and where do you get grapeseed oil? What's your method of applying? Thanks Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2006, 8:08 PM
Larry..........the first 6 months I turned....all I used was Mylands friction polish. Then I wanted to use something else so I could use Deft. I started using Zinzer's Sealcoat dewaxed shellac. I apply just like friction polish. Then I friction Deft brushing lacquer over it. Works well. I actually use BlO on sanded objects to pop the grain...then the dewaxed shellac and then Deft. All are frictioned on .....when the project comes off the lathe...it's done except for Beal buffing.

George Tokarev
12-17-2006, 7:43 AM
It's really a modification of French polishing. I soak the surface and defuzz. then I use the "soft, lint-free cloth" to hold the liquid as I apply, remembering that I'm trying to put on a thousand quick thin coats, not melt what I have there. Broad, no real pressure strokes, don't stay in one area long enough to soften the existing finish. Cotton muslin from the fabric store is my favorite. Doesn't wear through, cheap, and less prone to bubbles on oil finishes than the half synthetic T-shirt.

I use grapeseed, though olive is about the right viscosity for a lube. Grapeseed is also sort of green, which cuts back on the ambering you can get even with blonde shellac. It's on the shelf in the grocery stores here now, though it also comes, as does walnut oil, from the "health" places. Don't want too thick an oil not do I want a curing oil to make streaks. I add a drop or two whenever the rubber starts to drag, and spirit off after a couple days and buff if I want it super shine, or wool/wax if I want the surface cut back a bit. Mostly I leave it.

It's mindless stuff you can do almost anywhere, even watching TV in the livingroom. Odor doesn't carry much. Great thing to keep you amused while in the EMS ready room, and since you've got a supply of gloves available....

John Hart
12-17-2006, 8:23 AM
That's interesting George. I do the same, except I intentionally dissolve the existing shellac with a little DNA and use the oil simultaneously as a lubricant. You're right....it's a mindless...yet relaxing task.:)