PDA

View Full Version : Record "Transitional" Plane

Raymond Stanley
12-14-2006, 11:32 PM
So I was really bummed when I realized that the blade clamp on my Record plough plane was missing. You see, I had to make a groove for my board jack on the bench I a building, before I could continue any more steps. The best solution I could find for a while was getting a whole new (old) plane as a donor. Then I got ahold of Walt at Brass City toolworks and he inspired me to think I could actually jerry rig something to make it work. Although not exactly what he suggested, I found a way to make it work:

This is what they mean by a transitional plane, right? ;)

In all seriousness, I thought someone might find this tip useful...those blade clamps are easy to misplace!

-Ray

Sam Quigg
12-15-2006, 5:07 AM
Check out "Bugbear"'s site, (aka Paul Womack?);

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/record.html#044,

he has a dimensioned drawing for cuting/casting just this missing piece. I stashed the diagram years ago as my 44 has a nasty habit of jettisoning said blade clamp into Gawd knows where, under benches etc.

Walt Quadrato
12-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Ray,
certainly a lot easier than my solution...great job

Walt Q

David Howden
12-16-2006, 12:59 PM
If anyone is interested I should be able to find spare bits for a few dollars, I have done it in the past on a diferent site. Being English and hanging around an old tool market stall most saturdays, these bits and bobs crop up quite regularly.