PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to ‘I Couldn’t Believe It’

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2006, 11:16 PM
As a quick follow up to my posting ‘I couldn’t Believe It’, I wanted to let everyone know that my new customer picked up the 3 cedar candleholders that I had pictured. Gave her a quick tour of my shop and showed off some of my turnings. She liked the uniqueness of the pieces and showed interest but unfortunately I didn’t make any additional sales.

After she left I went back to the shop and buffed out a few more turnings. When I took a break about an hour later I found a message waiting on the answering machine. Seems once the customer got home and showed her husband the new candleholders they decided they wanted another set of candleholders made to match the new ones! They preferred the more refined finish of the newer turnings. I told her I would be happy to but it would take me a couple of days to get them finished.

Today I met my customer's husband (a real nice guy) when he came over to pick up the new candleholders. Once again I gave a quick tour of the shop (he appreciates tools) and showed off some of my other turnings. He liked the large cherry bowls that I had posted a couple of weeks ago and said he would be back for them – after Christmas. Wow! Sure makes you feel good to be able to create something that others like enough to actually buy.:D

52525 52526

Western Red Cedar, tall one is 8", short are 6", 3 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly, buffed.

Comments as always are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Steve - your pics were so dark they just begged for more light. Hope you don't mind. And now that I can see them - well done! Andy

Jonathon Spafford
12-15-2006, 1:41 AM
Congratulations.... you have now officially graduated to Group Catch!! Cool work... I really like the shape and I can see why you have made a customer! That is super cool!

John Hart
12-15-2006, 6:16 AM
Cool!! Congratulations Steve! Maybe you should open a shop next to their house!:D

Mark Pruitt
12-15-2006, 7:52 AM
Way to go Steve! Git-R-Done!!!:D

Maybe you should open a shop next to their house!:D
Just be sure it's their house not yours--let them worry about the homeowners insurance provider having issues with it!:D :D :D

John Timberlake
12-15-2006, 2:23 PM
Nice looking candle sticks. Great to have people who love your work and want more. Good luck with the additional sales.

Paul Engle
12-15-2006, 2:33 PM
Nice work Steve. Like the shape, are/were they Gothic inspired :confused: :eek: :D ? did you buff em straight over the poly or did you use a compound on em? I tried some green rubbing compound once...eh not so much but was fun tryin.:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2006, 3:56 PM
Paul, thanks for the kind words. No real inspiration per say, just turned them the way I figured candleholders should look. As far as finish - just 3 coats of poly and then I buffed them out using only carnuba wax. Simple, fast and easy.

Tom Sherman
12-15-2006, 4:27 PM
Way to go Steve, it makes it more fun when you find someone that wants to buy something you've done. Keep up the pace.

Ernie Nyvall
12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Man, that's gotta feel good. Way to go Steve, and congrats.