PDA

View Full Version : "Pay it forward"...Hopefully this catches on

John Ricci
12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
There have been some great threads on woodworking boards recently that have been promoting tool gifts to new/young/$0 budget woodworkers that would enable them to further their skills with our "castoffs". We all have tools that we never use but are absolutely functional in someone else's hands. I so far have myself found a dt jig, dado set and a "new" old jigsaw I have never used and will pledge those to my regular Canadian WW forum.

Have a look here...

Link to another forum removed.

and here...

Link to another forum removed.

This could be a really amazing way to give our craft a kick-start for the next generation of WW'ers and I know they will learn to do the same. I know what it is like to have my tool inventory doubled overnight as I found out when My dad passed away and I inherited his shop to incorporate into my own. There are some doubles that undoubtedly will find new homes in the "pay forward" plan. Whatcha' got guys?

A great idea and I'm all for it John. Sorry, but the links had to go.

Lee DeRaud
12-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Um yeah...sounds good.

Unfortunately, (TOS violation deleted)

John Ricci
12-14-2006, 11:55 PM
A great idea and I'm all for it John. Sorry, but the links had to go.

Andy, I understand the policy and I apologise for my breach but did you read them?;) It restores some faith in human nature. Can I at the very least say that one is Canadian and the other is Australian so anyone interested can take it from there:confused:

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I sure did John. Look for my PM with more info.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2006, 1:00 AM
John.......in the last year.....That sort of thing has happened right here at SMC. I know....I was the first recipient of what was originally called a Bombing run. I started teasing the turners during a contest almost exactly 12 months ago. Andy Hoyt and I began a signature tag game that continued through until the end of January..I didn't turn at the time...The good folks here at SMC turners and flatlanders....gifted me with a brand new Jet VS Mini. I WAS finishing a new shop at the time. I've turned a lot of wood since then...My shop STILL isn't finished. I've got the money .....I've just taken a year off to play....so I don't have the time.........We've gifted two other turners since then.......Pay it forward.....I helped gift those other two turners and I've helped run a fund raiser for a fellow Creeker whose shop burned down last Christmas.....I've also found a new and real passion in my life....TURNING.....Don't be too hard on Andy for enforcing the TOSs. He's just doing what's good for the Creek.

John Bailey
12-15-2006, 2:36 AM
John,

It's a great idea, we've done that sort of thing many times at the Creek. The TOS allow reference to another forum, just can't put a direct link in the post.

Thanks,

John