PDA

View Full Version : Question on the arbor I am building...

David Rose
11-09-2003, 1:05 AM
Each of the support posts will be capped with a decorative piece. I don't know the term for the cap. The pic I used shows a flat topped cap. To avoid moisture standing on the painted surface, I am thinking of putting a bevel on it front to back and side to side. How much bevel would it take to be effective for this. My thought is that for rain to really run off it would need to be substantial. I don't really want the look of a point on the top, just a bit of bevel. Will this help at all? How much would you more experienced folks think it would take to help? Even 10 degrees starts to change the look of the plan just a bit, but doesn't look like it would drain very much.

Plans are to either soak the cap with coats of primer then a gloss white paint or use several coats of epoxy then paint it. I wonder if the lack of adhesion of the paint to the epoxy would offset the benefit of the epoxy.

Lots more questions on this, but I'll try to break them up a bit.

Thanks from:

David the non painter, non outdoor furniture person

Bob_Hammond
11-09-2003, 7:09 AM
I call them post caps. When I built my arbor, I bought the caps from

http://www.hooverfence.net/wood/postcaps/index.htm

They have a nice selection of all different types. I ended up getting some copper ones and didn't have to worry about how to treat them.

Bob

Jamie Buxton
11-09-2003, 2:40 PM
David ---
You don't need much of an slope to get water to flow. Plumbers slope pipes 1/4" per foot, and that's only 1 degree. Yes, the top or your post will get wet in the rain -- that's unavoidable. You just need enough slope to avoid a puddle staying after the rains stops.
Sheet-metal post caps are another way to go. You can buy them ready-made, or make them yourself.
Jamie

David Rose
11-09-2003, 3:51 PM
Bob, that is an interesting thought! I'll have to spend a little time on this site and see what is available. If the kids go for it for a wedding arbor change, that sounds like an excellent choice for when it goes outdoors.

Thanks

David

I call them post caps. When I built my arbor, I bought the caps from

http://www.hooverfence.net/wood/postcaps/index.htm

They have a nice selection of all different types. I ended up getting some copper ones and didn't have to worry about how to treat them.

Bob

Carl Eyman
11-09-2003, 3:52 PM
I'd say an included angle of 150* would be plenty. This will really be a ROSE arbor. lol

David Rose
11-09-2003, 3:56 PM
Jamie,

That's true about the puddling runoff. I was concerned about "drops" staying on the top. I guess those would evaporate before doing real damage. This sounds easier than I thought.

I'll look at Bob's suggested caps and if the cost is more than we want just go with a gentle angle.

Thanks

David

David ---
You don't need much of an slope to get water to flow. Plumbers slope pipes 1/4" per foot, and that's only 1 degree. Yes, the top or your post will get wet in the rain -- that's unavoidable. You just need enough slope to avoid a puddle staying after the rains stops.
Sheet-metal post caps are another way to go. You can buy them ready-made, or make them yourself.
Jamie

David Rose
11-09-2003, 4:00 PM
Carl,

Yes, it will be a Rose rose arbor! :D

David

I'd say an included angle of 150* would be plenty. This will really be a ROSE arbor. lol