PDA

View Full Version : Spray Gun CFM

Jim Summers
12-14-2006, 4:55 PM
Hello All,

I am in the market for a new spray gun. Don't have one currently. I do have a compressor, a 5hp/8.8cfm@40psi/20gal tank.

I am looking at an Astro gun that is rated at 10cfm@29psi. Since cfm will increase as psi decreases I will probably get about 9.6 from my compressor. I won't typically be spraying a lot of large items and I am just a hobbyist/diy'r, not a production shop. The sales guy said the gun will work fine with my system. I am a little unsure. So I thought I would seek opinions. I am looking for a gun / package in the $100 - $150 range. Hopefully gravity feed with a couple of tips. Probably spray mostly lacquer and other finishes.

Many Thanks

Dennis Peacock
12-14-2006, 5:34 PM
Jim,

First of all....Welcome to SMC.!!

I have an HVLP coversion gun, gravity feed that works pretty well. You'll just need to thin your lacquer finish a good bit for it to spray ok. A conversion gun on the lesser expenive side will take a good bit of air and your compressor should handle it ok but it could get a nice workout while spraying. ;)

Keep us posted as to your decision and progress.

Jim Summers
12-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Many Thanks for the welcome! I found smc last week when researching HVLP and I found many answers and some good laughs to.

I will update with a decision and result soon.

TIA

Tim Sproul
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
You can also look at an import gun that Jeff Jewitt sells through his store - homesteadfinishing.com. I just picked up one for spraying glazes and IIRC, it is ~$110.

Jeff is a great source of information and will help you make the appropriate choice, regardless of budget. Heck, he was suggesting I purchase a Harbor Freight gun for spraying glaze....but I opted to get the inexpensive (albeit more expensive than the HF gun) gun he sells.

nic obie
12-15-2006, 2:35 PM
Jim,

The astro gun will work fine with that compressor. I have a friend that uses the same set-up to paint cars and they come out nice. Be sure to get the right tip for what you are spraying.

Jim Summers
12-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Well Almost. Ended up going with a Homestead Finishing offering. The QualSpray QS-600. It is actually labelled as an LVLP, which is going to perform well and should not give my compressor a work out during use.

I'll come back and post my trials and tribulations once I actually pull the trigger.

Many Thanks

Jim Summers
02-10-2007, 6:17 PM
Hello All,

I wanted to let ya'll know my experiences with the new Qualspray 600 LVLP gun I ended up buying.

I have sprayed several projects now with the new gun. So far I haven't had any problems. I am spraying with a water based Minwax Polycrylic. I have simply used it straight from the can with no thinning. Using a 1.8 tip in the gun. Adjustments are easy and I haven't encountered any problems with the gun.

HTH