PDA

View Full Version : bench saw recommendations for this setup

patrick anderson
12-14-2006, 4:07 PM
I just downloaded the plan for the attached workstation and I'm looking for suggestions for a good bench saw to mount to it. I'm also looking for suggestions as to where to get a fence setup like they show.

Any help would be most appreciated

Matt Moore
12-14-2006, 4:12 PM
Well that is not a bench saw but is a contractor saw with a beismeier or clone fence.

Personally, the only reason this would be desired is if you really needed te extra storage space. I don't know how many people would actually plan from the start to have a setup like this....???

The cost of this whole thing would be well into the cost of a good used cabinet saw and IMO would be a better purchase.

Can you give some more details as to why this is desired for you.

patrick anderson
12-14-2006, 4:25 PM
Yeah you're right mate it is a contractors saw.

The main reason for it was I have a one car garage thats 50% full of kids toys/garden tools etc etc. Whenever I have to do work around the house it's drag the stuff out onto the driveway. The little delta bench saw I have is ok but even on a stand its prone to tipping.

I dont do woodworking seriously (yet) but I have been considering a contractor saw as well. The reason that unit appealed was all the storage and everything in one place that could be pushed against a wall rather than a contractor saw.

Homer Faucett
12-14-2006, 4:31 PM
What I did not realize when I was looking at these types of designs is that this picture, as well as most that were shown, were not benchtop saws. Instead, they were contractor saws that were put in the mobile bases.

I believe the one shown in that picture is a Delta 36-6xx model (maybe a 36-682?). I have a 36-675, and have been quite happy with it. I believe that as far as benchtops go, the only one that gets much of a favorable review is the Ryobi BT3000. I had a benchtop for about a year, but realized that the fence system with it was pathetic, and was getting in the way of me getting work done.

I got the Delta for $300 (less than the cost of some fence systems), and now realize there were a lot of other problems with my benchtop model. If I had it to do all over again, I would not even have bought the benchtop saw.

The money would have been better spent on a decent saw guide for my circular saw, which would have done everything (and more) than my benchtop saw.

Homer Faucett
12-14-2006, 4:34 PM
Sorry, I was too slow in typing!

glenn bradley
12-14-2006, 4:39 PM
Hi Patrick,
As stated the fence is a Biesemeyer Commercial. For being the de-facto standard for this type of fence their website is quite weak. Delta owns them and these fences can be purchased through several outlets; Delta, Sears, Amazon, etc.

I would look at the Biesemeyer site in their 'outlet' or 'overstock' (forget what they call it) section. There can be some good deals there but they change as items become available or sell. Also, I frequently see Bies for sale by folks who changed to the "Home" version which is lighter weight or folks that go for the Incra or Mule type fence setups and have the Bies that came on there saw.

As for the saw itself; the picture is a small Delta contractor saw without the legs. I almost adopted this setup for myself for my old Craftsman TS but after doing the math and coming up with a few hundred for the stand and a few hundred more for the fence I bought a hybrid instead that came with the Bies, a larger motor and a smaller footprint. I don't imagine you want to be rolling a 400 pound saw out into the driveway so that is neither here or there. The point is any good contractor style saw body could be built into this stand.

As for new or used, that would be up to you. You're going to spend a bit of money on the stand so you may prefer new.

Matt Moore
12-14-2006, 4:40 PM
The contractor saw will actually take up more room than a cabinet or hybrid saw since it has the engine hanging off of the back as this one does. If you look close you can see it.

patrick anderson
12-14-2006, 4:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, you've got me re-thinking now I should just go contractor.

I've always bought hitachi toos...never had a thing go wrong with them but their contractor saw has had iffy reviews and I must admit I wasn't too sure on the fence on the floor model at blowes. I might look at the ridgid as it seems to be a favourite with people.

glenn bradley
12-14-2006, 4:55 PM
I've never used one but I've seen the work posted here that comes off of 'em. Pretty impressive. If you do a search here on '3650' you'll find quite a bit of stuff.

Homer Faucett
12-14-2006, 4:55 PM
A lot of people have had good things to say about the Ridgid. I would also consider the Delta 36-675 or 36-680 (Amazon sometimes has some very good deals on these, and you can see the 36-680 at Lowe's). Others will also have other recommendations, depending on price point. I would not pay full price for the Delta (full price for mine was something like $600), but at $450-$480, it's not a bad deal for either the 36-675 or 36-680.

Whatever you do, hold some money back for a good Freud or WWII blade and a link belt.

Good luck!

patrick anderson
12-14-2006, 5:32 PM
thanks for all the advice....goes off to read up on the ridgid