PDA

View Full Version : Nailer/Stapler

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I am about to purchase a fastener. What is best for making TV stands, book shelves, dressers, etc.? Nailer or stapler and what size? I already have an 18 gauge brad nailer.

Todd Burch
11-09-2003, 9:23 AM
I have an old 15 gauge Senco SFN2 that shoots 1" to 2½" nails and a newer Senco 18 gauge FinishPro 25XP that shoots 5/8" to 2 1/8" nails. I like both and both are good.

What range of brads does your shoot? If you are satisfied with your nailer, you could get a stapler for cabinet backs, jigs, etc.

I use my 15 gauge primarily for cabinet box assembly, face frame attachment to cabinet boxes for painted work, and a lot of onsite work for door casings, baseboard, crown, etc. However, now that I have the FinishPro, I sometimes just take it. It requires no oiling, is smaller and more manueverable, and the nail range is better. I use it for all nailing of prefinished trim when onsite, as the hole is smaller than the 15 gauge.

For a stapler, if I were buying my first one today, I would get a 1/4" crown or a 3/8" crown that shoots staples from 3/8" to 1½", like the Senco SLS25XP. My 1/4" crown stapler only shoots 3/8" to 1" long staples. My next stapler will be the Senco SKS-N with a 7/16" crown that shoots 3/4" to 1½" staples in 1/8" increments.

I only use medium staples for jigs, cabinet backs, upolstery bottoms, and areas that will never be seen in a finished product. I have a fine-wire stapler that I have used for fine delicate mouldings, and then fill the hole prior to finishing.

aurelio alarcon
11-09-2003, 2:01 PM
I have an old 15 gauge Senco SFN2 that shoots 1" to 2½" nails and a newer Senco 18 gauge FinishPro 25XP that shoots 5/8" to 2 1/8" nails. I like both and both are good.

What range of brads does your shoot? If you are satisfied with your nailer, you could get a stapler for cabinet backs, jigs, etc.

I use my 15 gauge primarily for cabinet box assembly, face frame attachment to cabinet boxes for painted work, and a lot of onsite work for door casings, baseboard, crown, etc. However, now that I have the FinishPro, I sometimes just take it. It requires no oiling, is smaller and more manueverable, and the nail range is better. I use it for all nailing of prefinished trim when onsite, as the hole is smaller than the 15 gauge.

For a stapler, if I were buying my first one today, I would get a 1/4" crown or a 3/8" crown that shoots staples from 3/8" to 1½", like the Senco SLS25XP. My 1/4" crown stapler only shoots 3/8" to 1" long staples. My next stapler will be the Senco SKS-N with a 7/16" crown that shoots 3/4" to 1½" staples in 1/8" increments.

I only use medium staples for jigs, cabinet backs, upolstery bottoms, and areas that will never be seen in a finished product. I have a fine-wire stapler that I have used for fine delicate mouldings, and then fill the hole prior to finishing.

My 18 gauge nailer is a Craftsman. It shoots from 5/8 to 2 inches. I have used it for casing work (infamous TV Stand), but I wasn't sure if a 16 gauge or 15 gauge might be more appropriate. I was going to buy a 1/4 crown stapler that they offer that shoots 5/8 to 1 1/2. This would be used for the same things that you use yours for. But if the 18 gauge nailer that I have is appropriate, I will just get a stapler. Let me know what you think. And thanks !

Todd Burch
11-09-2003, 3:09 PM
On cabinetry, my 18 gauge nails are holdthing in place while the glue dries.

With trim carpentry work, I've found the 18 gauge works fine, as there will typically be caulk and paint there also to hold everything in place.

My suggestion - get a stapler. Todd.

aurelio alarcon
11-09-2003, 10:55 PM
On cabinetry, my 18 gauge nails are holdthing in place while the glue dries.

With trim carpentry work, I've found the 18 gauge works fine, as there will typically be caulk and paint there also to hold everything in place.

My suggestion - get a stapler. Todd.

Advice taken! I will get a stapler. Thanks very much. I don't know anyone who does any cabinetry, so your advice, along with everyone else's on this site, has been remarkably enlightening!