PDA

View Full Version : power sanding questions

D Randall
12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Is there a suggested speed for power sanding? I’m doing confetti lamps using 3-5” blanks.

What about the power sander? Cordless drill? Corded drill? Air powerd tool? (drill or RA grinder?)

What about RPMs for Hand sanding?

John Hart
12-15-2006, 5:59 AM
Robert Mickley gave John Timberlake and I a short demo of his power sanding method. I was very impressed. I would love to see him post his information here. I've lost all the information I had on it and I want to get set up just like he has it.

As far as hand sanding...I like to sand with the piece spinning about 400 rpm.

Paul Engle
12-15-2006, 9:55 AM
When I power sand with my 5 " orbital I slow down to 500 rpm helps keep the bounce down on bowl and the plates I have done outside only , inside I take if off the lathe thru 320 gre, if I am just using it free wheel ( no power) I spin the piece up to 1200 rpm and sanding goes faster, I use a 2 " inertia sander for the insides and run the lathe at 1000 rpm also as the closer to the center you get the less " wheel " speed and longer it takes to sand and I go up thru 600 grt on the outsides and 400 gr on the insides unless it is a showy piece then will go up to the 3m white pad then brown paper bag to final polish before the finish at 500rpm. hope this helps , i really like the brown bag treatment.

D Randall
12-15-2006, 10:11 AM
What's the brown bag treatment?
I've been power sanding with a 2" pad on a cordless drill, using grits: 80, 120, 150, 180, 220, 400, 800. then (since I dont have a buffing system yet, only metal) I touch the piece with my white diamond bar accross the length, then hold a paper towel to it, and I do notice a difference. after that, I've been using the HUT crystal liquid finish, and enjoying the results. the only problems I've been having is that the paper is getting loaded a little quick it seems like? and the little wave papers I've been using kind get folded over in the finer grits. any suggestions for helping that?

Paul Engle
12-15-2006, 12:30 PM
I think on the wave ( i cut out the center of my 5 in disc and use the outer on the orbital free wheel i get the 50 or 100 count bulk and is about the same $ cept I use gum stick to clean them with on the orbital) disc it is a matter of technique as i did not experance that problem and the heavier wieght paper I had no problem at all. I had to practice to see what angles on the inertia sander ( no power again ) worked and which didn't and do those by hand or using the 2 in power pad in cordless drill w/ 3m scotch brite glued to loop material to stick to the hook pad, works well.
The brown paper bag really puts the polish on bare wood! When I learned how to chrome and nickel plate it was " polish polish polish " then plate, same is true of wood . brown paper must be around 10,000 to 15,000 grit :D . I dont use the 80 or 100 grt unless i just cant get the end grain to clean up with a spindle gouge w/ irish grind used on its side at 2500 rpm , and I draw it to me starting at the bottom of a bowl , on a plate I will start in the center and work out and spindle I start at head stock end and work to the tail stock .which since watching FYI and seeing Dave teach that on a segmented turn, it really works for me. my finish finish is wipe poly or tung , frictioned in first coat. resand with thinner 2,3,4 times coats in between and final very lightly with 600 / thinner. wipe dry lite coat minwax paste finishing wax ( let sit about 8 minutes)and buff with wool pad low speed on lathe and low speed on the cordless, let sit and hour or so and take the haze with 100% cotton cloth. I have been doing this last part on cabinet / flat work commerically about 15 years and works great , it took a while to get the technique down though. I found when you see a method used by someone try it out , you know ....kick the tires, go around the block once or twice or thrice . give it a chance to see if you like it , filddle with the recipie somewhat.:D Everybody is after that " one special look " and there must be as many ways to get there you will just have to keep looking/experimenting, then one day EURIKA !!!!! LOOK WHAT I FOUND will happen and it's a great feeling cause ya look around your shop and to no one in particular , out loud you say " I GOTCHA YA" and you'll be grinin from ear to ear > bout like when you first child was born :D :D :D