PDA

View Full Version : Latest project

John Gregory
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Our neighbors asked us to build this cabinet/shelf unit for their living room. The wanted shelves with vertical dividers arched raised panel doors, crown molding and no visible hardware. The unit is about 96 inches tall and 133 inches wide. Constructed of knotty alder solid lumber and ply. The ply was used for the cabinet carcasses, the horizontal shelves and the backs of the shelves. The top is solid knotty alder 1 1/4" thick, 20" wide and 133 " long. Because we have a small shop (20' X 20') we had to build it and install it in stages.

The finish:
Sanded to 220, pre-coated with Polycrylic, then Antique Walnut gel stain, then three coats of Polycrylic. Botching was minimal. We are very pleased with the finish.

Thanks for looking.

Cecil Arnold
12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Very nice John.

Glenn Clabo
12-14-2006, 1:06 PM
Nice job John...

frank shic
12-14-2006, 1:22 PM
excellent job, john! how long did it take you to do the arched raised panel doors?

John Gregory
12-14-2006, 1:40 PM
excellent job, john! how long did it take you to do the arched raised panel doors?

We have done several raised panel doors, but these were our first arched ones. We made patterns from 1/4" mdf. Two for each of the different sized doors, one for the panel arch and another for the rail arch. I roughed out the curve on the bandsaw, flushed trimmed to the pattern on the router table, then use the appropriate bits on the router table to make the panel, stiles and rail

We looked at buying some patterns, but they are a bit too expensive for the hobbist.

Von Bickley
12-14-2006, 1:51 PM
John,
Great Job..... I know your neighbors must be well pleased.:) :) :)

Lincoln Myers
12-14-2006, 2:22 PM
Nice work John. I really like it. Fits the space very nicely.

-Linc

Jack Ferrell
12-14-2006, 2:57 PM
We looked at buying some patterns, but they are a bit too expensive for the hobbist.

Hobbist? Looks very professional to me. I like the whole layout and the finish looks great. Excellent work.

John Gregory
12-14-2006, 3:27 PM
Hobbist? Looks very professional to me. I like the whole layout and the finish looks great. Excellent work.

Thanks Jack,
There are lots of "hobbists" here at SMC that turn out professional looking projects. Our clients, a.k.a. neighbors, expressed their satisfaction of the project by sending us a thankyou card with a check for $500, A "tip" they called it. We did have a markup, about 3 times the material cost, we did not make much per hour, but some extra cash for our basement remodel comes in handy.

Don Bullock
12-14-2006, 3:46 PM
Beautiful work. It sure looks like a professional job to me. As Mr. Rogers used to say, "Let me be your neighbor." I love to live next door to a craftsman (or craftswoman) of your quality.:D

Samuel Brooks
12-14-2006, 7:20 PM
I like the overall layout. Great job with the details.

Sam

scott spencer
12-14-2006, 7:36 PM
John - That's a beautiful wall unit. There's alot of aspects about that I really like...design, color, shape, etc. What's the lighter material in the center behind the pic?

Tyler Howell
12-14-2006, 7:50 PM
John,
Is that a husband and wife team effort there? Well done!!!

Paul Kinneberg
12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Very nice!!

Bruce Page
12-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Beautiful work!

Jim Becker
12-15-2006, 9:38 AM
Nice job, John.

John Gregory
12-15-2006, 9:54 AM
John - That's a beautiful wall unit. There's alot of aspects about that I really like...design, color, shape, etc. What's the lighter material in the center behind the pic?

The client had faux painted the wall.

John Gregory
12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
John,
Is that a husband and wife team effort there? Well done!!!
Tyler, thanks for the kinds words.

Yes, it was a team effort. My wife, an artist, worked with the client to do the design, drew up the plans, did the staining. 99% of the time we are in the shop together. My wife is very anal about perfection. I too am pretty fussy about things, but my wife takes it several steps further. And actually, it is a good thing. I think our projects turn out closer to perfect due to my wife.

Christopher Pine
12-16-2006, 9:11 PM
That is awesome work! Beautiful!

Looks like a nice flatscreen tv belongs in the middle though.

:)

Chris Pine

Kristian Wild
12-16-2006, 9:15 PM
That's great John! I'm sure they'll love it for years.