PDA

View Full Version : Long vs. Short tubes question

Jon Shively
12-14-2006, 9:56 AM
Back in '77 when I was learning to shoe horses, I every now and again had a brain fart and would really have to look at the nail to remember which side pointed out (so the nail flares out the hoof wall instead of inside the hoof). Well it soon became habit and don't think much about it now. But last night while drilling some pen blanks, had another brain fart. Which end does the long tube go on? The writing end or clip end?

John Hart
12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Usually the writing end....but really depends on the kit. Many use identical tubes.

Jon Shively
12-14-2006, 10:26 AM
There isn't a lot of difference but put one pen together and the transmission seemed to slip and really started to wonder if I had something wrong then started to second guess myself. Thanks for the quick reply and beneficial help.

Jeff Myers
12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Jon,
Adding to John's comment, depends on the kit but also, some of those
pen kits are soooo finicky with their tolerences that over milling the end just a bit too much can have disastrous affect on the mechanics of those things.

Jon Shively
12-14-2006, 12:57 PM
By overmilling, do you mean when I run the bit in the tube to cut the end of the blank to the tube? I might be "washing/eroding/enlarging" the inside of the tube?

Mike Vickery
12-14-2006, 2:56 PM
What pen kit are you reffering to and where did you buy it?

Jon Shively
12-14-2006, 2:59 PM
Euro at the WoodCraft store in Merrillville, Indiana.

Jeff Myers
12-14-2006, 3:28 PM
By overmilling, do you mean when I run the bit in the tube to cut the end of the blank to the tube? I might be "washing/eroding/enlarging" the inside of the tube?
exactly, after you've glued the tube in the blank and go to sanding/milling
the ends of the blank flush with the tube,,,if you go too fast and cut the
brass tube even a little bit, you can change the whole mechanics of that
pen to where they may fail. Also, deburring the inside of the ends of the brass tubes and making sure there's no glue inside them helps the pen
machanism go together and operate better.

Mike Vickery
12-14-2006, 4:15 PM
That would be a Berea kit
if it is the 7mm European
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/kits/pdf/RTEuroTwist.pdf
Long tube nib end
If standard European
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/kits/pdf/3_RTEuroDoubleTwistPen.pdf
Again Long tube nib end.

Jonathon Spafford
12-14-2006, 4:33 PM
Most kits come with assembly instructions... I would definitely check it first. I once made the mistake of switching the tubes around and the pen didn't fit together!

David Fried
12-14-2006, 6:29 PM
I once made the mistake of switching the tubes around and the pen didn't fit together!

Only once??!!

I've spaced out and ruined a couple of cigar pens that way.

The long tube uses the short bushing and the short tube uses the long
bushing.:eek: Geez!! No wonder I get confused. :confused:

I think if they used the long bushing with the long tube and the short bushing with the short tube it would be less error prone.

I keep copies of all the pen instructions in a binder at the shop now and
always check them, no matter how many times I've made a pen.

Jon Shively
12-15-2006, 9:27 AM
Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the help.
In response to checking the instructions, nope, don't get any with the bulk kits I buy. I did check everywhere for one, even have a pen book with pretty pictures in it but didn't explain which tube went where.
So, I went to the experts, the "Creekers"!
My contribution has already paid for itself! If I send in another contribution after January 1 can I get a new year under my name John?

Blake McCully
12-15-2006, 9:40 AM
Jon,
If you go to the Woodcraft web site and go to their pen kit section, you can download any/all of their instructions for their pen kits. I've found this to be exceptionally helpfull especially using some Berea kits. I find their instructions pretty bad. If using a Berea kit, use their tooling instructions, i.e. drill bit, mandrel, and bushings, but the rest of the instructions you can replace with those from Woodcraft.