PDA

View Full Version : alan turner, you awake

larry merlau
12-14-2006, 9:37 AM
i have a old mortise marking guage that has the letters N.E.W. stamped on both sides of the adjustable stop it appears to made out of rose wood or teak perhaps, it has a dark streaky grain. my question is can any of you folk tell me if it has any antigue value or what the letters might be refering to. it was possibly my great great grandfathers or a GG uncle thanks

Mark Singer
12-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Larry If it says "new" how can it be an antique:confused:

larry merlau
12-14-2006, 10:41 AM
hey mark trust me it aint new and i know old, jist look in the mirror and i ken tell, :) and its not a paper sticker on it either and the brass on it is tarnished big time..

Roger Myers
12-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Larry, are there any other markings or symbols anywhere on it? The N.E.W. may very well be the "owners mark" that he stamped on the tool... Wouldn't generally see a makers mark on both sides like that. I saw your description of this gauge elsewhere, and it is most certainly a mortise marking gauge... Value could be all over the place, depending on maker and condition, anywhere from $5-$10 to upwards of $100. Really hard to tell much more without a pic, so perhaps you can get someone to snap a picture of it for you.

larry merlau
12-14-2006, 11:09 AM
will do what i can roger, what can i do to clean it up with out hurtin it? it wont be for sale but i dont want to ruin it either

Tom Hamilton
12-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Larry, hopefully I'm not suggesting what you already know, but the Old Tools board has some very knowledgable folks. A post overthere might bear fruit. http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html

Could well be a previous owner's initials as previously mentioned.

Merry Christmas, Tom

larry merlau
12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Larry, hopefully I'm not suggesting what you already know, but the Old Tools board has some very knowledgable folks. A post overthere might bear fruit. http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html

Could well be a previous owner's initials as previously mentioned.

Merry Christmas, Tom

tried to get there from your link but got told forbidden must be they have heard about me:)

Tom Hamilton
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Hummm, don't know what is wrong Larry. I just googled "old tools list" and a couple of different ways to get to the sign-up page so you can post.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Alan Turner
12-17-2006, 5:55 AM
Larry,
Yes, I am awake. Haven't been here for a few days, and so just saw your post. I can't help you without a photo, but even with one I porbably couldn't. While I regularly use old tools, I am no expert on either identification, or value.

As to a bit of clean up, one nice way to start is to disassemble it to the extent possible, and then carefully wash the tool with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then, using a medium or fine steel wool dipped in wax, polish it a bit. Often this will bring out the grain and color, and give an older wooden tool a nice patina.

Even though I have a love of old tools, I rarely use the older mortise or marking gages, prefering instead a more industrial style used in the pattern making trade. My go to guys are some from Freeman Supply, in Toledo, Ohio. These gages have a cast bronze head, and a cutting "knife" with four points screwed onto the end of the hex beam, which gives great visability, and are easy to sharpen with a fine file, and then to hone. But the real advantage, to me at least, is that the hex beam, as it passes through the head, is held in place by a piece of bent spring steel. So, when the head is loosened for adjustment, the beam does not wooble at all. So, for example, I can set the cutter in an etched line of a metal ruler, and then tighten the head casually, without the loss of any registration. Want a line preciely 1" from an edge? No problem.
Good luck with your find.