PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Day

Frank Kobilsek
12-14-2006, 9:18 AM
Here is a cherry bowl fairly simple form and figure but it has two notable points of history; it is part of a batch of bowls I rough in October that took a swim in DNA and I started to finish turn this piece the evening Chirs Hunter came to visit.

Finished with Mahoney oil, about 8" x 3"

I think I'll reply to myself with the next one.

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2006, 9:28 AM
Frank.............Nice classic shaped bowl. I like that finish.

Question?....Is replying to yourself.....talking to yourself......symptoms acquired along with advanced turning skills?.....Just wondering what I'm missing....:rolleyes: ;)

Frank Kobilsek
12-14-2006, 9:30 AM
This one is a housewarming gift for a co-worker that is also a significant wood contributor. This cherry came from a stump/crotch of a tree that was taken down to build his new home.

I learned the lesson on this one that crotch very low to the ground may not be a crotch but rather two trees that grew very close together. Alot of the blanks I cut from this tree had a bark line down the middle that broke within days of cutting.

Again Mahoney oil finish and about 9" in diameter. This one I realy like because I that the wall thickness a little thinner than my ussual and very consistent.

Enjoy. Sorry for marginal picture & no inlay today.

Frank

Frank Kobilsek
12-14-2006, 9:33 AM
Ken
You just beat me to the reply, but I do hope that no one ever puts a hidden video recorder in the shop to record my conversations with myself and other objects, spinning or fixed.

Thanks
Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2006, 9:38 AM
Frank...........I talk to myself when I'm troubleshooting equipment. My customers learn to live with it. I sing along with the radio when I"m finishing a turning but not when I'm wearing my Trend Airshield (ie turning or sanding). It took me a month to learn I could not blow the shavings off my turning tools with the face shield on....:o

I really like that second bowl! I especially like the crisp edge treatment! Takes sharp tools and tight grained wood.
Nice figure in that cherry too!

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2006, 9:43 AM
Wow Frank - what a beautiful bowl! Great form and love the way the grain stands out!

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2006, 9:45 AM
Very nice! I have been attempting this style on a couple of my bowls but haven't gotten there yet. Thanks for the great example!

John Hart
12-14-2006, 9:50 AM
Beautiful!!! I love that wood and the forms are nice as well. Prolly darken over time and add to the figure.:)

One of my technicians...in the next office over...talks to himself regularly....very loudly. In fact, most of the time I think he's talking to me!!.....So I find myself, getting up, walking over to his shop...and saying, "are you talking to me?"....The answer is always, "nope".

Gotta find some duct tape.:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice bowls from some beautiful wood - congrats!

John Timberlake
12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Love the bowl. Nice form and that finish really shows the grain in the cherry.

George Conklin
12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Frank.............Nice classic shaped bowl.

That's the exact thought I had when I saw the pic.

Nicely done, Frank. I can't see any room for improvement there:) .

Jeff Myers
12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Man i love cherry,,,very nice bowls and finishes.

Jim Ketron
12-14-2006, 6:14 PM
Nice Job Frank!

Tom Sherman
12-14-2006, 8:49 PM
Frank those are Great bowls.

Jim Becker
12-14-2006, 8:53 PM
I like that, Frank! A very nice form and some beautiful cherry.

Gary DeWitt
12-14-2006, 9:31 PM
I love that form! Isn't it interesting what you can find in a tree(s). You never know...
John - Earplugs might be a better idea...

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Frank nice bowl. Fine job.