PDA

View Full Version : extension cord question

Greg Stanford
12-14-2006, 8:58 AM
I'm going to be getting my new lathe before I can get the wiring done for it. Would I damage the motor by using an extension cord until I can get the new outlets wired up? It's the Jet 1642 EVS 1 1/2 hp & I'd be using a short (20'-25') heavy duty cord. I thought I'd have it done by now but things have gotten delayed. thanks.

g

Jim Becker
12-14-2006, 9:10 AM
No problem, Greg, as long as the extension cord has the correct ratings for the tool and circuit. Long-term, it's better to have a 20a outlet where you need it.

Al Willits
12-14-2006, 9:11 AM
If your unsure about store bought extension cords handling the load, menards has Power cords in several lengths, you need the cord and ends and can make them whatever length you want..maybe 50 was max, can't remember.
This stuff has a pretty good covering so it should take quite a bit of wear.
I made an extension cord for my wire feed 220 welder and it worked out well.

This stuff is 12 ga wire I think, but rated for some pretty good amp draw, The plug end for the welder is the same thing as a electric dryer, but I used a 20 amp regular plug for the 220 extension cord I made to run the TS, planer, jointer and DC.
btw, I don't run them all at the same time, I don't think that cord would handle that much.. :)

As far as being able to use a extension cord, I think as long as the wire carries the required amps it should work, safe answer is to check with Jet though.
Al

John Hart
12-14-2006, 9:54 AM
Christmas tree light extension cords would probably work ok until the insulation melted off.;)

Just trying to help!:D

Dario Octaviano
12-14-2006, 10:05 AM
You can buy heavy duty extension cords at HomeDepot, Lowes, etc.

I made one for my lathe plugged to my dryer outlet (220V). It works fine. Just make sure that if you make your own...that all componests are compatible and each are rated above your needs.

Steven Wilson
12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I run my 3hp Oneway off of an extension cord and it doesn't mind. Come to think of it I run my Combo machine off of an extension cord and it likes it just fine. Just make sure that the wire guage of your extension cord is appropriate for the load. I build my own.

Alex Cam
12-14-2006, 12:34 PM
You can think of the run from your breaker box to the outlet as one big extension cord. All you need to make sure of is that the extension cord you have plugged into the outlet can handle the maximum current that your lathe will pull.

Or, to be extra safe, make sure it will handle the maximum current that the line will draw before the breaker pops. Code is 12 Gauge wire for a 20A circuit, 14 Gauge for a 15A circuit.