PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw splitter question

Mark Berenbrok
12-14-2006, 7:03 AM
I have a 1951 right tilt Unisaw and I'm looking for a splitter at the on-line auction place. The part # for the current splitter is 34-868. I've seen some questions about the alignment of the screw holes. The two screw holes on my saw look like they're in-line rather than off-set. The folks at Delta Parts say this unit will fit my saw but I'm suspicious. How many screws hold this thing on? Any thoughts?

Jim DeLaney
12-14-2006, 7:29 AM
Assuming you're talking about the Delta removeable splitter: Two screws - the same ones that held the original equipment guard bracket - are what holds it in place. It oughta fit your older Uni just fine. Installation will take less than half an hour. After that, removal/replacement will take maybe fifteen seconds...

Byron Trantham
12-14-2006, 8:37 AM
Mark I hope it fits your saw. It's a great addition. I use mine a lot more than I thought I would.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-14-2006, 8:38 AM
If I remember correctly, my Delta removable splitter had optional hole arrangements with a small assortment of bushings to accomodate different Delta saw models.

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
12-14-2006, 8:59 AM
Jeff brings up a good point, you may very well be better served with a more modern (read: removable) splitter approach than the OEM product. Since the newer removable aftermarket devices are, um...easier to install and remove...you'll tend to use it 100% of the time that you can. Most folks don't continue to use the stock splitters/guards 'cause they are a pain in the you-know-what to deal with when they need to come off and on the machine.

Al Navas
12-14-2006, 1:32 PM
I believe that the anti-kickback pawls on a stock Delta splitter are too sloppy and could lead to problems. You may want to look at this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37743&highlight=unisaw+splitter) from June 2006.

John Gornall
12-14-2006, 4:43 PM
I use the Delta removable splitter which comes with the Uniguard. I had installed the same splitter long before I got the Uniguard and so have 2 splitters. I removed the pawls from one which is the one usually on the saw but when I rip rough stuff I put in the one with pawls.