PDA

View Full Version : Which edge sander?

Guy LaRochelle
12-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi, I am in the process of choosing between and General 15-005 and a 15-010 belt sander. The 15-005 is smaller but has a cast table, the belt can be pivoted up to horizontal. The 15-010 is 108", seems to have a nicer end table. Can someone help me in choosing between these 2 sanders? I don't really know if the length is that important to me right now but maybe someone can tell me that is an important feature. They both have oscillating capabilities. Any info would be appreciated. Regards. -Guy

P.S. By the way.......I am new to this forum. I operate a small furniture building shop.

Mitchell Andrus
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Bigger is better - but a tool you'll grow into, not out of. Cheaper in the long run.

Kristian Wild
12-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Guy, welcome to Sawmill Creek. While I'm no expert on edge sanders, I also work in a small custom shop. We have a 36" model (sorry, can't remember the brand) without any occilation that works pretty good for us.

As long as space isin't an issue I'd encourage you to go with the longer one over the one that pivots to horizontal. I can't think of many things that you'd need to do with it in horizontal mode that couldn't be done with it in the regular orientation, or with an upside down beltsander gently clamped in your bench vise. I regularily find myself having edgesander envy because there's another little local shop with a 48"model of the same machine.

It also seems like the occilation feature is an option on both of those machines. It would probably be money well spent.

Kris

Steve Kohn
12-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I have been considering buying an edge sander also. I don't have a production shop, just do hobby work.

What type of work do you find the edge sander does best?

Guy LaRochelle
12-14-2006, 5:38 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I need a sander right now mostly for sanding shaped templates for router work. A spindle sander would probably be best but I think most of my templates I could do with an edge sander (not much inside work) and then I could probably find other uses for it. Maybe Kristian you can tell me what you guys all use it for in your production shop? Regards. -Guy LaRochelle

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-14-2006, 9:24 PM
I have a 6X48 that I got cheap. The motor it came with was barely able to make the thing go round. I had an old electrical lawn mower motor (supposedly 5 HP) put it on it and it is still underpowered.
Get the biggest motor you can.

Nancy Laird
12-14-2006, 11:36 PM
I have a Woodtek 6x89 for sale if anyone is interested. Check the classifieds.

Nany