PDA

View Full Version : Red Mallee Burl, Before

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 10:24 PM
A couple of you had asked what the Red Mallee Burl HF looked like before it became a Hollow Form. The first pic is the remains of the burl that I cut it from. Still enough left to get a small NE from. The second pic is another burl that is slightly smaller. These burls are like turning concrete, no curls, just chips.

Joash Boyton
12-14-2006, 7:43 AM
Waiting for a finished pic.......

:D

John Timberlake
12-14-2006, 8:51 AM
Waiting for a finished pic.......

:D

See this tread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47422

John Hart
12-14-2006, 9:52 AM
Wow Keith...you have enough left over for a few pens! Red Mallee pens are great!!:)

Gary DeWitt
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't turned one of these burl things, so, does that open spot on the finished piece correspond to that really thin spot on the original burl, the one at the top of the pic on the left?
In other words, did you start turning that blank knowing there'd be a hole there when your were done?

Keith Burns
12-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I haven't turned one of these burl things, so, does that open spot on the finished piece correspond to that really thin spot on the original burl, the one at the top of the pic on the left?
In other words, did you start turning that blank knowing there'd be a hole there when your were done?

You are spot on Gary. Believe it or not, I actually had this piece in my mind and really made no design changes while turning (Normally I have to change direction 3 or 4 times before I'm finished). I was actually hopeful that I would end up with more open but I chickened out on going any thinner.