PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 12"SCMS in need of help

Kristian Wild
12-13-2006, 9:34 PM
I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to true up, if possible, the dewalt 12" SCMS at work. I'm sorry I don't have the model #, it was new two years ago. After becoming frustrated with how it didn't cut perfectly square on either side of the blade I decided to make it my problem for the afternoon.

So I went through all the steps to true it up on the left side of the blade. Now that cuts true, but on the right side it's farther off than ever. I wrestled with it for a bit longer before I noticed that when cutting a piece which spans the whole base there is a gap under it in the centre.

Well my trusty straight edge tells me that the sides of the "table surface" are flat, and are actually level with the outfeed tables on either side and with the outer edges of the rotating inner surface. However from there to the centre it dips almost 1/16 of an inch! I can't fathom how this can be adjusted as it appears to be one solid casting.

With a long piece of stock, the weight of the far end keeps the end closest to the blade lifted off the inner surface 1/16. With short pieces however, they simply lie flush with the "dipping" inner ring. So I can true it up to be 90deg with one or the other, but not both.

Help!

Kris

glenn bradley
12-13-2006, 9:48 PM
I see a sub-base in your future if I'm understanding correctly. This would be a known "flat" panel laid over the existing table. You'll need to shim under the low spot to prevent your sub-base from eventually dipping to meet the fault. You lose some depth of cut but on the upside you will have a zero clearance slot.

Kristian Wild
12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Glenn.

I'm bumping this back to the top in case there are any other suggestions before it gets lost a few pages back.