PDA

View Full Version : My Vacation "project"

J.R. Rutter
12-13-2006, 8:28 PM
Here's my latest net auction boat anchor (well, not quite). The seller told me that they used it every day. Maybe he meant before they stored it out in the rain...

When I got it, there was 1/2" of water pooled in the spindle housing, which ruined the top bearing and almost rusted the spindle assembly together. The spindle wasn't turning, either. The vertical adjustment was frozen, with the handle spinning freely. At least the table had so much greasy gunk on it that it hadn't rusted.

After recovering from the shock, I started stripping it down to see what could be saved. Luckily the vertical adjustjust needs a few cheap parts. A car jack got he spindle high enough to remove the frozen nut and the tapered spindle itself. The control box showed signs of water, but they had drilled out the bottom to run the feeder cord, so it drained before it hit the transformer, breakers, switches, etc. Today, I used the forklift to pull the spindle assembly and drove it around the corner to a machine shop for new bearings.

I'm impressed with the engineering that went into this machine. Even simple things like the multi-step V-belt pulley having tapered bushings on each side, and a nylock type nut holding it on (no fun to remove that though). The basics haven't changed in 30 years or so, and SCMI had parts in stock. So I may still be able to get a good machine out of this deal. And I have learned a lot about how the guts work...

I'll post an after pic when it is cutting wood.

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 8:33 PM
Ah, but it will still be a fun project and a great machine when you get done with it! I wish I was brave enough (and had the time) to tackle this kind of restoration!

lou sansone
12-13-2006, 9:33 PM
hmmm been there on other ww machines. can you say ....fun
looks like a t130 .. hope you did not pay to much for it. best wishes
lou

J.R. Rutter
12-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, if I get out of it for $100 in misc. parts and new bearings, then all will be well. I actually had the time to deal with it this week, so its not billable hours down the drain. It is a T130N with Steff feeder. It will join the T110A and T120 making door parts. Once I started on the SCMI stuff, it was hard to stop...

J.R. Rutter
10-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I realized that I never updated this post as promised. I ended up installing a panel mount Pro Scale and the shaper ran very smoothly and precisely (with 3 raised panel cutters stacked on the spindle!) for years before I upgraded to a T130 Class with quick change spindles.

http://home.nas.com/harmonic/NewShop/T130.jpg

Keith Hankins
10-05-2013, 12:54 PM
heck of a score! keep the pic's coming!

Jeff Duncan
10-05-2013, 1:39 PM
Even though the post is 7 years old.....I'd imagine you spent more than $100 to fix her up? I would think the spindle bearings alone would have been several hundred?

I know what you mean about the SCM stuff.....I have a T-160 that's patiently waiting for me to fix her up when I get a couple free days;)

JeffD

J.R. Rutter
10-05-2013, 2:24 PM
I got the bearings from a supply house rather than SCM (after finding that they were pretty standard via Parts Pronto), but, yes it was a few hundred after all was said and done.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, just saw it again today while looking for that before picture...

David Kumm
10-05-2013, 2:33 PM
I got the bearings from a supply house rather than SCM (after finding that they were pretty standard via Parts Pronto), but, yes it was a few hundred after all was said and done.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, just saw it again today while looking for that before picture...

Bearings are 6011 and 6207, sealed or shielded. I was surprised that they weren't precision but replaced mine with P4 and P5. Hard to find precision bearings with seals and shields in comparison to open. Can be done. I think the NSK ran about $60 each but I did a lot of searching as most P4 will run 150-250 each. Dave