PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowl Oops

John Hart
12-13-2006, 8:18 PM
Wanted to try something different in a form and dug this out of the firewood pile. Everything was going along pretty good. Had the tenon in the chuck and the tailstock bringing in pressure while I was hollowing...and WHAM!! I caught that inclusion and it tore it out of the chuck and tailstock. Pretty damaged but there was a little bit of the tenon left, so I mounted it up as best I could and cleaned out the center. Took another catch and it was all over.

Decided to throw a quick finish on it and keep it...even though it isn't done. The dog might like it.;) :)

Oh...please tell me what you think of this form! I don't think I like it..But I don't know really. Need some opinions. You won't hurt my feelings or nuthin'.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 8:22 PM
John........I like that form. Kinda reminds me of the spitoons you see in the old westerns on tv..........For a castoff turning that really did turn out pretty good! It's got character IMHO.

Tom Sherman
12-13-2006, 8:46 PM
I like it too John, it deffinately has character. Lots of figure and that inclusion is cool.

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 8:51 PM
Yup...great character! I bet you could sell it for twice what a "perfect" one would go for! LOL! (Really)

Mark Pruitt
12-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Glad somebody else is willing to share an oops story.:rolleyes:

John, I like the form mostly, but would suggest a couple of refinements. At the base, consider beginning the profile with more of an upward direction, then curve out; then when you turn back toward the top, complete that curve with more of a vertical sweep. Then sweep outwards to the outermost portion of the bowl. Finally, when you sweep back in and out to the edge, begin the sweep with more of a horizontal movement and make a more dramatic sweep to the edge.

I don't know if that makes one drop of sense. I know what I'm envisioning but I don't know if I said it clearly.:confused: But, that form definitely has some promise. Maybe the next one will be nicer to you...:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2006, 9:10 PM
John, really interesting wood! Maybe if you can just set it aside for awhile you may figure out another way to finish hollowing it.

John Timberlake
12-13-2006, 9:15 PM
John,

I would lose the last bit of lip at the top. I like the form of the bowl part, but would just put a lip going in without the extra curved part at the top. Just an opinion.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2006, 9:25 PM
Yep John that was a nice save. I like it. Has a lot of character.

John Hart
12-13-2006, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all your comments!! Maybe I can salvage it.....Then again...maybe I oughta just move on!:confused:

John T....You wouldn't believe how many times I almost cut that top half off! I probably should have and it would have survived.

Mark...I did a little Photoshoppin' to see if I could create what I think you're saying. Is this close?

Mark Pruitt
12-13-2006, 9:53 PM
Mark...I did a little Photoshoppin' to see if I could create what I think you're saying. Is this close?

Pretty close. All I have to play with is MS Paint, so this is not great but it mostly shows what I was envisioning at the outermost area.

John Hart
12-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Yep...I see where you're going Mark. Sorta along the lines of an ancient egyptian look. Will you turn one for me?:o

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Okay John, you asked for it so here it is.....I actually like the form as is. It's a little different than normal but thats alright, I still like it. :) :)

Barry Stratton
12-14-2006, 2:29 AM
We're supposed to believe that is firewood and an oops??? Sorry, not buying it. I like it, but I'm a rookie...what do I know....

Joash Boyton
12-14-2006, 7:37 AM
Nice save:)