PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Choice

Ed Maloney
12-13-2006, 5:38 PM
I've researched the suggested compressors for air assist here at the Creek and am considering one of the two listed below. I'm leaning towards the one with the regulator (second link.) This will be for an Epilog 35W. Just looking for confirmation that the one with the regulator is the better choice. Thanks as always!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93657

Robert Alexander
12-13-2006, 7:16 PM
For an air compressor choice you would want to get the one with the regulator. I talked to one of the techs at epilog yesterday, and he recomended no more than 20 p.s.i. for the air assist, for my machine.

Joe Pelonio
12-13-2006, 7:45 PM
I have one much like the first, and it works fine at 25lbs. I added my own regulator and water filter. Sometimes with a particularly bad material (flaming) I use a regular compressor at 40-45lbs. I have one nearby anyway for blowgun (cleaning), light spraypainting and airbrushing.

Bill Cunningham
12-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I just have a regulator coming off my general shop compressor.. You don't have to spend a fortune on a compressor for 25 psi at the cfm used for air assit.... If you have an old freezer or refrigerator around, those compressors will work just fine, their usually free, 'and' pretty quiet!!! Just put a regulator/watertrap/pressure shutoff in the line and set for about 25 psi..

Dave Jones
12-15-2006, 7:03 PM
I have the one in the first link. I'm thinking of replacing it. It works OK, but it's not great. It gets hot quickly and even though it claims 30psi it's more like 22.

Also, be sure to get hoses and fittings for them. Do not run them as they come with the coiled hose going to the laser. I found that after running for a short time it was spitting water out in the laser, and no water was building up in the water trap on the compressor. It was because the air was getting heated up through the compressor and then cooling down in the coiled hose after the water trap, condensing to water in the coiled hose.

You'll want to mount the water trap fairly close to the laser with a short straight hose and run the longer hose from the compressor to the water trap. Preferably a straight hose. The coiled hose is good for using it with a hand airbrush. When you use it with a laser it doesn't need to move around, so the hoses can be straight.