PDA

View Full Version : ? for Trend Airshield owners

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2006, 4:58 PM
I posted a few photos of some spalted birch bowls I turned a few days back (thanks for all the nice comments) and a caution from John Miliunas about dust protection got me to really start thinking about a powered respirator. I have to admit that while I have checked them out off and on for a few months now, I have only researched the actual specs for a couple days. Based on price, weight and convenience – the Trend seems to be the logical choice. If you disagree - please let me know.

My question for the owners – what accessory options do you suggest? I see you can get an additional battery, filters, visor overlays and some sort of spare pack kit that seems to have everything already in it. Don’t want to get something I am not going to need. What do you suggest?

If it helps – I turn mostly birch and cedar and usually I am at the lathe for 4 to 5 hours at a time.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bob Noles
12-13-2006, 5:17 PM
A good choice, Steve. I have really enjoyed mine since getting it almost a year ago. You feel so much safer in all directions wearing this while turning.

I purchased the additional filters and visor overlays with mine, but have not needed them just yet, but know the day is coming and I will have them on hand.

As for the battery, it will run about 4 hours on a single charge. Unless you plan on putting in more than 4 hours in a single day (remember that is 4 hours actual lathe time) you will not need the 2nd battery. If your use is higher than that, then I highly recommend the extra battery.

Mark Cothren
12-13-2006, 5:24 PM
I got the "spares pack" (I think it was called) with mine. That's what was recommended to me and what I recommend to you. I run mine on two batteries, but it runs on one just fine. So I can run on one and make sure the other one is charged up good.

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 5:24 PM
Stelth gloat Steve, I'm getting one for Christmas. Best price I found is Allprotools.com for $239.00. Figured I'd wait before getting any of the additional parts.

Bob Opsitos
12-13-2006, 5:36 PM
I have one as well. No accessories, haven't really needed any, though I wouldn't mind having another battery. At times I've gone to turn something and have found the batt low. Have to see about some specials at the next WW show.

I should also pick up a filter. Not sure if it's clogged or not, but the breeze in the helmet seems to slow sooner than I would expect from when it was new.

Haven't had a need for the overlays and I often wet sand.

I quite like the shield. I've noticably less wood boogies, once I've come upstairs. Know what I mean?

Bob

Mark Pruitt
12-13-2006, 5:48 PM
I like the idea of the Trend, but its filters are not HEPA filters and that concerns me enough to keep me from owning one. Instead, I purchased respiratory masks (http://envirosafetyproducts.com/product/3M_8233_N100_Respirator) from EnviroSafety Products that meet HEPA standards and use them along with a conventional face shield. An air helmet with HEPA filters is cost prohibitive for me as long as I am able to use these filter masks. I get multiple uses out of a single mask.

BTW, ESP also has the Trend for $232. (http://envirosafetyproducts.com/category/Trend_Airshield)

Dale Overman
12-13-2006, 5:50 PM
I too am looking to Santa this year for a Trend. I turned a deer antler pen a few weeks ago and before I got out of the shop I felt my sinuses burning. Had an infection that lasted a month with a round of perscription antibiotics. Don't intend to touch another antler until after Christmas and my shield. raymond has one and seems to like it but like all of us doesn't wear it like he should. I recommend it.

Karl Laustrup
12-13-2006, 6:31 PM
I've had the Trend for almost two years now. It took a little getting used to but now I wear it almost all the time in the shop. Well, I will as soon as I get a new charger. Note: Don't lose the charger. They are hard to find and are expensive [$75].

I would suggest the extra battery [not fun being in the middle of something and run out of battery without a spare] and I would go ahead and get the spare pack kit now. It's some extra filters and tear offs for the face shield. I ended up getting one earlier this year and ended up having to pay shipping costs again. If I'd gotten it when I originally ordered it probably wouldn't have changed the shipping charges at the time.

My $1.398 worth.

Karl

David Walser
12-13-2006, 6:58 PM
Steve,

For all the reasons you mention, I planned on getting the Trend -- until I tried on both the Trend and the Triton. For me, the Triton's weight just felt better balanced on my head. The trend felt like it was pulling my head down when I leaned over the lathe. Having used the Triton for more than a year, I find I like the extra protection provided by the helmet and the hearing protection. YMMV.

Another advantage of the Triton is that it's battery pack keeps a charge longer, 6 - 8 hours of continuous use. Since I turn the power off when I'm not turning or sanding, one charge equals more than 10 hours of shop time for me. I've never had to stop because I ran out of battery power.

Also, in theory, the belt pack used by the Triton should allow your filters to last longer (the unit draws air from behind you, away from the source of dust). However, it has been suggested that this location can be a disadvantage if you regularly eat beans. That's not been a problem for me, thank you very much! Again, YMMV.

A disadvantage of the Triton is it's not as widely distributed as the Trend. Spare parts and service might be more difficult to come by. That's not been a problem for me since I've not needed parts nor service.

At the end of the day, I like my Triton. I most likely would have liked my Trend had I not tried on the Triton. Besides, the Triton was cheaper....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 8:05 PM
Steve.......It really boils down to two things.......the level of filtration and comfort.

The guys in the Woodcraft Store in Spokane thought I was taking up residence when I went there to buy a face shield/airfilter. I sat the Trend, the Triton and another brand that I can't remember on a table saw in the store. I tried those things on for 2 hours. In the end I bought the Trend just because I didn't think I could ever get used to that hose hanging off me. I bought a 3 pack of pre-filters, a 2nd battery and a 10 pack of the shield covers. I live 110 miles ONE WAY from the nearest store that carries same. I didn't want to have to stop turning and wait for a delivery or make the 4 1/2 hour trip.

I've been more than satisfied with the Trend Airshield! It keeps my glasses from fogging up and sweat off them during the summer heat here too!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2006, 9:37 PM
Steve I love mine. I got the extra overlays and filters. I also got the extra battery and am glad I did. Comes in handy.

Jim Bell
12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Trend unit, extra battery, overlays and some spare filters. Was wearing mine the other night while sanding and actually tried to blow some sanding dust away while wearing the unit. I forgot I was wearing it!

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2006, 5:32 PM
Hey everyone - Thanks for all the input! Wanted to let you know that I ordered the Trend with the accessory pack and extra battery. It is shipping UPS ground from CA - so some time next week I will be breathing cleaner air while turning.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance!

Karl Laustrup
12-14-2006, 5:41 PM
Your lungs will thank you.

Karl

Brian McInturff
12-14-2006, 7:55 PM
Steve,
Who did you order from and if we may ask what was the sale price? Thanks, Brian

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Brian, ordered everything from Envirosafetyproducts.com. Found everything there was cheaper than any of the normal 'woodworking' vendors. Price of the mask $232.

Dan Faux
12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
For my Trend I bought a box of 100 Photocopier Transparencies and some double sided tape, total cost about $20 Aus. probably $10 or $12 US and will last for years..

dan

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Dan - thanks for the idea. Part of the accessory kit is a pack of 10 overlays. Have no idea of quality or how long they will last but will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks!

Dennis Peacock
12-21-2006, 8:41 PM
Yup...I got one and really like it. :D

Hilel Salomon
01-12-2007, 4:18 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I could have saved those who jumped,a good deal of money. First of all I have two aishields-one in SC and one in VA. I bought extra batteries for each and was thinking of getting an extra charger for each when I ran across an article in Woodcentral which has saved me and my friends a bundle of cash- although I had already spent the 70 bucks on extra batteries.
You can make your own battery packs, use them with an ordinary charger and get extra batteries which will:
last at least twice as long per charge;
cost a few dollars per pack;
cost a few dollars per charger.
If you go to Woodcentral articles, look up airshield trend, and read "Fog Tanner's article, you'll get it. You can dowload his detailed instructions and for what it costs to get 6 rechargeable batteries, less than a dollar per for pack holders, less than a dollar per for connectors, and about $15-30 for a good charger, you'll have fantastic results. I now use my own battery packs and each lasts me about 8-12 hours per charge. When I use two, I usually go at least two and sometimes as many as four days!!!
If you have any problem finding these directions, I'll try and find the site and post it. Good luck, HB