PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock for Jet Mini?

John Miliunas
12-13-2006, 4:43 PM
OK, probably should be in the "classifieds" section but, figured I may get more action here. Anybody out here possibly have a line on a tailstock assembly for a Jet Mini? Not for me but, a friend of mine is in need of one and has already checked w/Jet and they're talking to the tune of $75.00 for it! :eek: Thanks! :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
12-13-2006, 4:55 PM
Are the tailstocks on the Rikon, Delta Midi, and Jet Mini interchangeable? What about the PSI? That might open up some other possiblities if their prices are any better.

John Miliunas
12-13-2006, 9:56 PM
Are the tailstocks on the Rikon, Delta Midi, and Jet Mini interchangeable? What about the PSI? That might open up some other possiblities if their prices are any better.

Hey Mark, thanks for the suggestions! I know that the Rikon is out, as it as a larger swing capacity. Not sure on the Delta. Regardless, I talked to him this evening and he said he can probably just order up individual parts from Jet to complete a "whole" assembly. I guess he got some super-special deal on the one he has, due to the fact that it was damaged goods. The cylinder inside the tailstock is bent and there's no pursuading it to come it. He's tried! He can't even get the live center out! At any rate, the $75.00 would've been for the entire tailstock, including handles, etc... Much of that is still useable from the damaged unit so, he's just going to order up the minimum parts he needs and go from there. Probably his best bet, anyhow. Thanks again for your thoughts on it! :) :cool:

Brad Hammond
01-01-2007, 3:53 PM
john. i'm interested in what your friend found out about his live center. today i took the center out of mine and how it's makin some gosh awful bearing racket! it was whisper quiet before. even locked up for a little bit, but i got it freed up with some dry lube spray.
thanx!
brad

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 4:17 PM
Might try General Industrial Supply in Nashville that carries scratch and dent Jet stuff. When I was there a few years ago they had a warehouse full of Jet parts. I bought a lower guide assembly for a bandsaw for about $10 IIRC.

Brad Kimbrell
01-01-2007, 5:12 PM
Brad,

I'm Brad also. I just ordered a new double-sealed bearing from McMaster Carr for about $7 to fix my now dead live center. You may have seen the thread from yesterday about the sawdust in mine finally destroying it.

I don't exactly know the rules on posting links, so just Google "Jet Mini Live Center" and you will find an article on WoodCentral that tells you how to fix the problem. Be sure and order the "Double-Sealed" bearing - the original is only sealed on one side, hence the problem...

Good luck. My bearing will be in when I return on Friday so I'll let you guys know how it goes. I can't see any problems unless it doesn't fit, but I measured it with dial calipers and feel like it will fit. The part number is even similar to the original Taiwan NTN 60022 - McMaster Carr number is 5972K83 for a Double Sealed Bearning No. 6002. It measures 32mm OD x 15mm ID x 9mm thick.

Good luck with yours!

Brad Hammond
01-01-2007, 5:27 PM
great! thanx! and to add another bad new years day...... i broke a handle on my sorby gouge.......lol the ferrule must have come apart. i noticed the loose ferrule and then a long crack in the handle. now i'll get to practice makin my own handles! i was gonna look at some p&n tools anyway.
thanx again brad!

brad