PDA

View Full Version : I am fuming now! *PIC*

David Eisan
11-08-2003, 8:46 PM
Dear All,

I got to practice my fine woodworking skills with a narrow crown stapler as I bashed a frame together out of 1/2" plywood for the fuming chamber.

I are now committed to this ammonia fuming thing, here are the clock parts in the "chamber" and it all sealed up. I will post in a few days what comes out. If I hate it, Owen Shim will be getting a visit from my friends Gino and Rocco.

http://members.rogers.com/dfeisan/images/fuming.jpg

A neighbour started walking up the driveway and noticed I had a diving mask on, was wearing thick acid gloves up to my armpits and holding my breath. All I heard was, "Ah, David, I will come back when you are not so busy".

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-08-2003, 9:03 PM
Don't forget to check it every so often. I have read that it is possible to get things too dark with amonia fumes.

David Eisan
11-08-2003, 9:32 PM
Dear All,

Since it was snowing this morning and I have the garage door up 6" for ventilation, I decided to provide a heat source for the chamber over night.

When I turned of the main lights and looked out at just the 250 watt halogen, it reminded me of an X-Files picture, it looks even weirder in person.

http://members.rogers.com/dfeisan/images/xfiles.jpg

David.

Brad Hammond
11-08-2003, 11:49 PM
very cool david!! how long are you gonna let it fume? is there a time frame you have in mind? or until you get the shade you want.

thanx so much for the postings.........i am very interested in fuming cherry myself!

thanx
brad

David Eisan
11-09-2003, 10:15 AM
With regards to a time frame,

I am going to leave it in until it is done :).

Seriously, I have no idea how long I am going to leave it in for. I will check on it this afternoon and again this evening. I have an inkling that 24 hours is just the right amount of time, but it could turn out to be two days as well.

I will let everyone know...

David.