PDA

View Full Version : Delta tenoning jig is this a useful tool?

Rick Reinsma
12-13-2006, 1:48 PM
Saw a recent add in the local paper and the person was asking for a "still new in the box" delta tenoning Jig asking 100$.

Just was wondering if you have used this tool and what do you think that they are worth$. is this the kind of tool that you would use all the time if you do mort-tenon work or is it limited......Thanks Rick

Jim DeLaney
12-13-2006, 2:01 PM
I use mine a lot. In addition to tenons, I've also used it to hold small/short pieces for cutting grooves, dados, etc., when they'd otherwise be too small to mill safely.

A hundred bucks for a used one - even if it is still in the box - seems a bit high, though.

(oops, just noticed your Ontario address.) If it's $100 Cdn, that equates to about $85 US, so that's not a bad price. Plus, if you're buying off a want ad, I assume you won't be paying GST, PST, etc. on it, so it doesn't sound like a bad price at all.

Karl Stewart
12-13-2006, 2:21 PM
I read a review recently and it listed the Grizzly a best value $59 US[+ship, no tax] although I'm not allowed to buy myself anything the two weeks before Christmas. I'm looking forward to more accuracy.

Hoa Dinh
12-13-2006, 2:44 PM
I also use mine to cut slots for splines in making picture frames. I attached a sacrificial fence to the fence of the jig, set it at 45 degrees, clamp the frame to the jig, and cut.

John Hulett
12-13-2006, 3:19 PM
I read a review recently and it listed the Grizzly a best value $59 US[+ship, no tax] although I'm not allowed to buy myself anything the two weeks before Christmas. I'm looking forward to more accuracy.

Two weeks? I'm on hold 50 weeks before christmas! :eek:

glenn bradley
12-13-2006, 4:33 PM
I have the Powermatic branded version (on sale at Rockler $65 USD 2 or 3 times a year). I love it. You have to set it up for your saw although my understanding is it fits most. One issue I had when I changed saws; the t-slot was different and I can not use the retaining washers stock. On the other hand the thing is quite heavy and I have not felt the need to adapt the t-slot washers to work.

I use it for tenons, of course. . . bridal joints, splined miters, etc. very handy. The rules and cursors on every make of these I have seen is weak. I solved that with a short strip of tape measure and a piece of plastic with a hairline cursor scratched in.

Jamie Buxton
12-13-2006, 5:37 PM
I used to have a tennoning jig, but found I never used it. The primary thing it does is hold sticks vertically so you can cut the cheeks on tenons. I do that operation with the rip fence, equipped with a taller auxiliary face. The tall fence can also do other things so it has stayed in my arsenal, while the tenoning jig has not.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-13-2006, 5:37 PM
Saw a recent add in the local paper and the person was asking for a "still new in the box" delta tenoning Jig asking 100$.

Just was wondering if you have used this tool and what do you think that they are worth$. is this the kind of tool that you would use all the time if you do mort-tenon work or is it limited......Thanks Rick

Not if it is the older cast iron one.
If it's the new one ya might as well buy Grizzly's

Hoa Dinh
12-13-2006, 5:43 PM
Don't tell the man to buy Grizzly.

He may want to.

But Grizzly doesn't ship to Canada.

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 6:12 PM
The answer to the original question is yes, it's a useful tool if you like using the table saw to cut tenons. The price is high, however, if that is US dollars, but not bad in $ CDN.

Doug Shepard
12-13-2006, 6:16 PM
You didn't menion what type saw you'd be using this with and it shouldn't matter. But at least some older (10-15 yrs) Craftsman saws had miter slots that weren't exactly 3/4" wide (something like 0.73 or 0.74). I had to return the Delta jig I tried to buy for it. Otherwise they're nice to have for certain cuts.

CPeter James
12-13-2006, 6:22 PM
If it is a new one, then you can buy them brand new for that price most of the time, somewhere on sale.

CPeter

Mike Cutler
12-13-2006, 6:43 PM
It's a very convenient tool to have around the shop. It does what it's supposed to. The newer models are a little on the light side. I've seen them had for fairly inexpensive $$$$ depending on the color, and the manufactures label. $100.00 bucks US, or Canadian is a bit high in my opinion.
The older ones were very heavy 30+ lbs, and are very desirable. When they show up on auction sites, they usually fetch a pretty good price. I've been looking for one of these.;)

Travis Hirst
12-13-2006, 6:51 PM
Although I don't have one yet. I'm waiting on my new saw. I have been looking into them quite a bit. It seems that Grizzly has one that has all the functions but then I know they don't sell that where your at. General however has one that appears to be better than all the rest including the delta and grizzly. It looks to be more adjustable and more versital than all the rest and you can get it for around $100.00 us.

Travis

JayStPeter
12-13-2006, 6:55 PM
I got one 3 years ago Christmas. It took a lot of effort to get it set up well, including some grinding and filing. But it works great now. It takes some setup time each use, so for a small number I sometimes just use a dado blade. But, it's nice to have and when I do use it I appreciate it. Personally, that price in either US or CDN isn't something I'd jump at if it wasn't something I was planning on getting anyway. There are some less expensive ones on the market that were reviewed well in one of the mags in the last couple years. But, if it's one of the older ones it might be worth it since I've heard they are a little nicer and take less effort to setup. I spent a couple hours just cleaning cosmoline off mine ... more time than my Unisaw. I think they gooped it up before assembly ... what a mess. From unpack to first cut was a solid 4 hrs. Did I mention grinding and filing ... good design, poor QC IMO.

glenn bradley
12-13-2006, 6:58 PM
I'll add that the Powermatic (branded by them and several others) did work on my older C-man and works on my C-man hybrid, if that helps.

jonathan snyder
12-14-2006, 1:33 AM
If you want a tenon jig, you might consider building one. You can do it for a-lot less than $100.00. I built one a while back, and it works quite well. It takes a few cuts to set it up, but its easy to adjust. I cut tenons on 9" wide table aprons last week with it.

Here are some pics, might help generate some ideas for you.

Jonathan

Rick Cabot
12-14-2006, 6:46 AM
Rick
I have a newer model universal Delta jig 34-184. It works ok and is useful. As memory serves me, the older jig that predated this one, was only able to be used on a right tilt saws. It was a more substantial unit and if in new condition the price would be reasonable. I may be wrong, but I would check it out before you buy. Good luck.

Rick Cabot

Travis Staes
12-14-2006, 7:36 AM
That is a very nice job on the jig Jonathan. Did you design it, or did you build it from a plan? And what was your source for all the hardware bits?

Travis

Lee Schierer
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I have one and use it all the time. I cut tenons and lap joints on nearly all cabinet projects I make and it works quite well. Be aware that Delta made two different styles of these. One had a 45 degree capability and the other was fixed. As I recall the one that cost more had less features and weighed a ton. The better featured one was called a "Universal Tenon Jig" and sold for about $90 new (US$) http://froogle.google.com/froogle_image?q=http://www.mikestools.com/images/products/34-184.gif&size=2&dhm=2830a824&hl=en

You can find it as model 34-184 Delta Universal Tenon Jig if you go to Froogle. It appears to be quite similar tothe Grizzly one.

jonathan snyder
12-14-2006, 9:59 PM
Travis.

I can not take credit for the jig design. A fellow by the Name of David Dundas http://www.dldundas.com/ designed it. I stumbled across a reference to his mortise jig somewhere. I E-mailed him and he sent me plans for his mortise jig and the tenon jig. I made a few modifications, such as adding the t track. The knobs, t-track and hold-downs, and dial indicator are available from many mail order sources. The all thread for the adjustment mechanism came from the borg. The MDF and and scrap hardwood I had on hand. The UHMW runner came from the local plastics store.

The dial indicator allows you to make very precise adjustments to the width of your tenons.

David has an e-mail address listed on his web site, you might e-mail and ask for the plans. His mortise jig also works very well.

Jonathan