PDA

View Full Version : Questions about newly ordered bandsaw

Rick Hubbard
12-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I just ordered a Grizzly G0555 band saw. My primary use for this toll will be resawing a LOT of 2 inch oak planks into ¾ inch stock.

I know close to nothing about bandsaws so I have some questions that I’ll bet some folks on this list could answer.

First, what type of blade should I use for resawing this oak? Hook 3TPI or 4TPI?

Second, the saw will be deilverd with only one 3/8 inch blade. What additional blades would be in the “Must Have” category?

Third, I know not all brands of blades are created equal, so what are best quality brands available?

Thanks for the input.

Rick

Tom Hamilton
12-13-2006, 2:02 PM
Hi Rick:

When my new Griz arrived last June I called http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/. They are helpful and according to a recent post have a 20% off promotion going on.

You might also search for "bandsaw blades".

Welcome to the wonderful world of bandsaws.

Tom, in Houston, enjoying a beautiful, sunny 78 degree day.

Bernhard Lampert
12-13-2006, 2:41 PM
I'll second that. When I got my bandsaw, I called Suffolk. They are extremely helpful, reasonably priced and ship fast.
Amongst other things, I got a crbide tipped blade specifically for dry hardwoods. It slices through 6 and 8" cherry leaving only tiny blade marks.

Bernhard

Harley Lewis
12-13-2006, 2:42 PM
Rick, I have used Timberwolf blades (suffolk) and they do not last very well when resawing hard wood. Try this site, it answers most questions and will steer you to a good blade. Call them if you have more questions that is answered by the web site. Their bi-metal blade is a good way to go. http://www.toolcenter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TC&Category_Code=BBLADEFAQ

glenn bradley
12-13-2006, 4:48 PM
Another vote for Suffolk. They set me up with blades that make my POS 12" Craftsman cut like a bandsaw. Folks here who do a lot of resawing (I don't) seem to like Lennox but I'm sure those folks will speak up. ;-)

Pete Bradley
12-13-2006, 8:13 PM
If you're going to do a lot of resawing, get ready for a lot of dust. If you don't have a DC, plan to plug in your shop vac. It's possible that the oak will wind up in funny shapes after you resaw it, but there's only one way to know for sure.

I'll also recommend the "Swedish Steel" or "Timberwolf" bands. You may find that the new machine runs a 1/2" much better than it does a 3/4". You want a low tooth count, but not so low that stability becomes a problem. A good band for what you're describing from Suffolk or Constitution Saw (it's the same band) would be a 1/2"X3TPI PC tooth.

For all-around use, I like a 3/8"X4TPI PC.

Pete

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 8:41 PM
Timberwolf from Suffolk as mentioned or Woodslicer from Highland Hardware.

But...be prepared to be patient. This is not a band saw that was designed to do a lot of heavy resawing and you'll need to go slow and steady. It's not a quality issue...it's a horsepower situation. I ONLY mention this so you can set your expectations realistically. It will work fine for your purpose within its capablities.

Mike Armstrong
12-13-2006, 9:38 PM
Another thing to get right off the bat is the Iturra Design "catalog" - it's really more of a reference book - and it's free. Lou still has no web site, but you can search for his name here and get his phone number in FL. Although most of what he sells is for Jet, Delta and similar 14" saws, there's a wealth of info to be had there. I'd suggest getting one of his tension gauges for better cutting and extended blade life. It's a good deal at ~$125. He has blades, too. A great guy to deal with. You can call him and get his recommendation for blades/upgrade equipment.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2006, 9:42 PM
Rick I have got the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware. It gives a nice smooth cut and cuts well. I also use the Timberwolf blades but if I want a excellent cut I go back to the Woodslicer.

Rick Hubbard
12-14-2006, 8:48 AM
Thanks EVERYONE for the helpful information. The machine should be here sometime next week so (after I con a couple of buddies into helping me set the thing up) I'll see just what kind of misery I'm in for with all that oak on my garage floor. There is a rumor that winter is coming to Maine so if I don't get out of the garage and into my shop I have a hunch I'll be sleeping with it!

Steve Schoene
12-14-2006, 8:56 AM
One more point--your bandsaw is delivered with a 3/8" strip of metal to use in setting it up. It may look like a blade, but should not really be confused with a good blade. You also need a good 3/8" or 1/4" blade for other work.

Jake Helmboldt
12-14-2006, 1:16 PM
Get Lonnie Bird's The Bandsaw Book. It will answer most of the questions you will ever have and you can always have it as a reference. It is pretty much a "soup to nuts" resource.

I have been using Lennox blades because they work well and I have a local dealer that will weld up any length I need and they are a fraction of the Timberwolf and Woodslicer blades. One day I'm gonna try a Woodslicer just to see how they are, but I haven't had the need given the Lennox availability. Check with Lennox online to see if you have a nearby dealer.

As for TPI, how wide are the pieces you'll be resawing? The thickness or height (width on edge) will usually determine how many TPI you should be using. If really wide then the 3 TPI is probably best, if narrower then 4 TPI is probably fine. However, I think I just read last night that either Lonnie Bird or Michael Fortune prefer to use the 3TPI regardless because they get better resawing results.

JH

Jim Becker
12-14-2006, 8:39 PM
Jake, your locally produced Lennox blades are substantially less that Suffolk's direct prices on Timberwolf?

Jake Helmboldt
12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Jake, your locally produced Lennox blades are substantially less that Suffolk's direct prices on Timberwolf?

I got two basic carbon steel blades and a bimetal for about $35, cut to length and made up that afternoon.

Rick Hubbard
12-15-2006, 7:57 AM
[quote=
As for TPI, how wide are the pieces you'll be resawing? The thickness or height (width on edge) will usually determine how many TPI you should be using. If really wide then the 3 TPI is probably best, if narrower then 4 TPI is probably fine. However, I think I just read last night that either Lonnie Bird or Michael Fortune prefer to use the 3TPI regardless because they get better resawing results.

JH[/quote]

I'd guess most of the stock I will be resawing will be in the 4 to 5 inch range. I have about 65 pieces of 8/4 x 12 oak plank (ranging in length from 8 to 12 feet). Some of it I am going to leave untouched, but most of it I hope to convert to 3/4 inch stock.

I ordered a 1/2 inch 3TPI Woodslicer blade for the re-saw process and I guess I'll pick up a couple of 1/4 and 3/8 Lennox blades locally for other uses (which I'll presumably learn about in the Lonnie Bird book that I also ordered).

Thanks again for all the advice.

Rick

Dave Carey
12-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Congratulations on the new saw. I've had mine about 18 months and love it. Tough little sucker. I'll echo the suggestion to get Lonnie Bird's Bandsaw Book and Suffolk for Timberwolf blades. They were very helpful in figuring out what blades I needed and had a four blades for the price of three deal going when I called to boot.