PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Rack for Daughter

D.McDonnel "Mac"
12-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Eldest daughter does knitting/crocheting and asked for a quilt rack for Christmas on which she can display her work. I looked at several designs and used a modified version of a Kelly Mehler design from FWW (Sept/Oct 90).

It's quite a departure from my normal straight and square style of building. Almost every edge surface is rounded/curved. There are semi oval hand hold cutouts at the top of the rounded sides, the crossbars are oval in cross section and even the through tennons are oval/round. The not square tennons really threw me as I'm used to and set up well for square mortice & tennon construction.

I did learn a new method for rounding edges that worked very well. I knocked the square edges off with a block plane and then I took a strip off the end of a used up strip of drum sander paper and went cross ways over the edge of the board moving the paper in a "shoe shine" motion. This made quick work of the sanding especially inside the handle cutouts where I rounded over with a router and finished up shoe shine method with 3/4" wide strip.

I am using a Rude & Crude finishing process made popular over on the WWA forum by Dave Knipfer. A buffed out 1# shellac wash coat followed by an oil/varnish mix. It's almost done just another coat of oil/varn to go.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c166/indymac24/Emily%20Quilt%20Rack/QuiltRackFinished.jpg

Mac

William Lewis
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I really like that.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Mac............She'll be proud of Dad! Nicely done...I like the design and the execution!

Ralph Barhorst
12-13-2006, 2:34 PM
Not only is the quilt rack excellent but you did a great job on the photography. One of the best photos that I have seen in a while.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
12-13-2006, 2:47 PM
Guys, Thanks for the comments on the rack!

......... you did a great job on the photography. One of the best photos that I have seen in a while.

It's amazing how well these little digital cameras do. I use a roll of white paper draped over a chair sitting on my tablesaw. The lighting is a couple of 75w hallogen trac lights and some fill flash. Simple. Photography was a hobby for years but this is really about lighting and getting the right angles that compliment the piece.

John Timberlake
12-13-2006, 3:36 PM
Great job. Looks like the joints are really tight, the stepped cross pieces make it good for three displays, and nice design. Keep the projects coming.

glenn bradley
12-13-2006, 4:27 PM
That is very nice Mac. I really like the "feel" of the lines and stance.

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 6:18 PM
Mac, that's a great design!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Arnold
12-13-2006, 7:48 PM
Very nice, Mac!!! Beautiful work!

William Bachtel
12-13-2006, 7:52 PM
Thats real clean.

Kristian Wild
12-13-2006, 8:06 PM
Simple, clean, and classy. Very nice.

Dave Hale
12-13-2006, 8:26 PM
I love departures from the norm'. Very nice work. Something else to 'steal'. :)