PDA

View Full Version : I turned a bowl today!

Ace Karner
11-08-2003, 7:53 PM
Well here is something I have turned that is not a firestarter LOL.

Many thanks to Larry Hancock for his guidance and to K.C. Constable for getting me started and giving me the mesquite blank I turned this out of.

Be easy on me guys, it is my first.

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2003, 8:08 PM
<B><font size=+2>Way to Go Ace!!!!!</font></b>

Nice looking bowl and the finish looks good too.!!! Looks like you are on the right track and have gotten some good personal advice and pointers on wood turning. Keep'em coming..!!!!!

Jim Becker
11-08-2003, 8:15 PM
You "aced" that one, Ace! Nice job. Mesquite is very nice to work with. Be sure to keep it around for these projects!

Tom Sweeney
11-08-2003, 9:16 PM
I didn't realize that mesquite is so nice looking for turning.

You did a great job on the bowl - nice form & that "sharp" transition form the side to the bottom isn't all that easy to achieve.

Definately a keeper! :cool:

Wayne Hribar
11-08-2003, 9:49 PM
Great job,keep up the good work.
Wayne

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-09-2003, 8:02 AM
Not too hard once you get going, is it? That looks plenty nice. :D

KC

Philip Duffy
11-10-2003, 6:30 AM
My goodness, I wish my first ten bowls had survived long enough to have their pic. taken! Wonderful form and finish. Now, the second one may turn out to be a bit more difficult, but stay with it! I must say- - mesquite is a very hard wood so you should be double proud. Phil

John Miliunas
11-10-2003, 8:23 AM
Nice job, Ace, though I must say, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing all these great "1st efforts" around here! (You shoulda' seen my first one!) :D And yes, the one and only Mesquite bowl I turned, is still one of LOML's favorite! Keep up the nice work. :cool:

Ace Karner
11-10-2003, 8:59 AM
Thanks for all the kinds words from my fellow creekers, and thanks for looking.

ace

Bob Lasley
11-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Ace,

When you send that marking gauge up here, go ahead and throw that bowl in the box with it. No, on second thought, don't throw it in the box, wrap it carefully and then gently place it in the box. I wouldn't want something that purty to get damaged.

You done good!

Bob

Larry Hancock
11-11-2003, 4:39 AM
Ace,

Your bowl looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pieces. I had a great time meeting with you and everyone at the BBQ. Maybe after the holidays are over we can pick another Saturday that some of us are free just to visit and make a few chips. A year is a long time between meetings.

Keep up the good work and enjoy
Larry

Tom Hintz
11-11-2003, 6:45 AM
Ace,
There is nothing to be "easy on you" about! That's a nice looking bowl, regardless if it's your first or not.
However, I do hope you are not planning on developing your skills at this rate for very long. Some of us would like a chance to catch up!

Matt Bridges
11-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Awesome job Ace!!

Matt