PDA

View Full Version : As Promised for Ken

Frank Kobilsek
12-13-2006, 9:02 AM
Ken & My Fellow Creekers,
It's a busy day so here is a quick shot I took to illustrate my new stopper display units for the little wine shop / gallery that has been so kind to me this year. Maybe I am posting this as a bit of a gloat. I am switching from chrome to the Ruth Niles Stainless units so I need new display racks.

The base is hollowed and filled with lead so it will not tip even with just one stopper. There is a 5/8 hole in the Lexan and tennons on both the base and the cap. I hollowed the base through a 3/8 drilled in the tennon so the bottom is clean. Wood is ebonized cherry with a piece of stabilized and dyed box elder burl in the cap for decoration. The Lexan is 5 1/4" diameter which was jam chucked to turn round, polish the edge and lay out the holes with the indexing head. Holes in the Lexan were drilled with a 5/8" forstner bit, very slowly.

All the stoppers are made with stabilized blanks from Arizona Silhoutte except the cocobolo in the front. (Keith that stuff is working great. We need to send Dick on another road trip)

I think tommorrow is Cherry Day, something for Ken to look forward to. And Yes Ken it is pretty obvious even to me now that I have been holding out.

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 9:08 AM
Frank....Frank....Frank.......Just when I'm starting to feel good about my feeble attempts at turning stoppers you come with these.....Beautiful stoppers....great stand........I've got a ways to go yet!

Question about the Ruth Niles ss .....how long does it take you to get some once you place the order? Is there much of a delay?

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 9:18 AM
Frank, great stoppers (especially the cocobolo) and a great display:) :) I agree with you on the road trip!

Jeff Myers
12-13-2006, 9:45 AM
Frank,
That stand(and stoppers) looks great!
I can't tell from the picture(or description) of how the Lexan was
secured to the base,,,it doesn't look like the center hole in the lexan
goes all the way through, does it or was the box elder snug fitted
into a shallow hole in the bottom of the lexan?

Frank Kobilsek
12-13-2006, 9:47 AM
Jeff
Three pieces base, lexan and cap. The cap and base have a tenon that fit in the hole in the middle of the Lexan. Each layer is supper glued in place. The box elder is inset in the cap.

Thanks

Frank

John Hart
12-13-2006, 9:58 AM
When I first opened the thread, I thought they were Ice Cream Cones!

Beautiful Stoppers Frank! :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Beautiful bottle stoppers! Your stand enhances your turnings! Great job!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
John you and I had the same thought. I thought you were showing of ice cream cones. Nice work on the stoppers Frank.

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2006, 1:05 PM
When I first opened the thread, I thought they were Ice Cream Cones!

Beautiful Stoppers Frank! :)

John, John, John......you've been hanging around Andy Hoyt a bit too much. :rolleyes: :p :D

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2006, 1:06 PM
Frank,

Beautiful bottle stoppers and the stand. Outstanding work and congrats!!!!:cool:

Frank Kobilsek
12-13-2006, 2:27 PM
Really thanks, Stoppers are alot of what I do. I thought I was done and ready for Christmas but I got an order for 32 last night, due Sunday.

No ice cream for me, I got a little blood sugar problem that I am not always so good about, as you can tell I don't even use the D-word.

Ken, I have only ordered once from Ruth and it took about 10 days to arrive at the house. Send her an email and I'm sure she'll take care of you, she move so if you have an old card you picked up somewhere the snail mail adress will be wrong. I need to send her another order. Seriously you need to shoot up to Mendota from Ponitac when you are here for Christmas, you'll need a sawdust fix. My Mom was a Fitzgerald, we are probably 142nd cousins.

Frank