PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre coffee table almost done

Kristian Wild
12-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure wether or not I'm extatic about how this turned out, but it was fun none the less. It's a Christmas present for my parents. It should fit with their "mountain cabin" theme. The pine top was originally a restaurant table at a local place that operated through the 80's and 90's. My parents actually bought it for me as my first kitchen table from a second hand store about eight years ago.

It originally had a steel centre post and four feet branching out from it. There was also about a quarter of an inch of that two-part epoxy table-top finish on it.

The idea was to make it as inexpensively as possible. The only thing I purchased was the enormous 1-1/2" by 18" auger bit from LV to drill for the legs. The legs are out of some 8/4 white oak scrap we had around the shop at work. I initially wanted to have stretcher between the end legs. Kind of like a windsor chair base. Unfortunately I didn't think of drilling for the stretcher before I tapered the legs. With no flat surface to referance off of I couldn't figure how to drill them after the fact. Luckily the top is 4" thick and the legs go all the way through. So they're probably strong enough! Now it just looks more like 1970's retro turned leg furniture than a Windsor adaptation. Oh well...

The tenons are wedged with some very hard and heavy exotic wood that came as part of a pallet from south america. They took a severe beating with my framing hammer to drive them home with no splitting or chipping.

Does anyone know what kind of pine developes such a grey-black sapwood?

This is after the first coat of Tried and True Varnish Oil.

Comments and giggles are welcome and appreciated!

Kris

Karl Laustrup
12-13-2006, 7:03 AM
I like the look of that Kristian. It sure did clean up nice. Good job.

Karl

Jim Becker
12-13-2006, 8:21 AM
Well...if you decide you don't like it...drop it off here. I'd proudly have that in my home! Nice job, Kristian!

Chuck Wood
12-13-2006, 9:18 AM
I'm with Jim...I think it looks great! I like the retro look.

Don Bullock
12-13-2006, 9:27 AM
The table should look fantastic in their home. Nice job.

Kristian Wild
12-13-2006, 9:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Don't get me wrong, It's not that I don't like it. It just happened to turn out quite different from my original intentions. I guess it just took me along for the ride! :)

Dan Forman
12-13-2006, 10:41 AM
First off, nice job on the table, I'm sure your folks will appreciate it. It must have been fun getting that finish off I'll bet.

I have some ponderosa pine that is called "blued", which features streaks of that greyish coloration. It is caused by a fungus, usually found in wood that has been down for a while. Mine is not so clearly defined though, is more streaky than solid like yours.

Dan