PDA

View Full Version : Birch 'Pot'

Pat Doble
12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Ran across some birch laying on the ground while hunting this fall. FIL didn't even want to bother to cut it up for firewood (one of his favorite activities). I was able to salvage about 10 feet of 10" trunk. Here's the first piece from it.

About 4 1/2"H x 5"W, walnut oil and Beall.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey Pat - pretty good job. Nice smooth finish - which is a tribute to your gouge work. Looks like you got this hollowing thing down pretty good also. What's next?

John Hart
12-13-2006, 5:55 AM
Way to go Pat...you got 10 feet of it? Vases are next eh?;) Ain't it great how mother nature just drops this stuff at your feet?:)

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 8:03 AM
Nice pot Pat ! I like the form and thats some great wood:) :)

Mark Pruitt
12-13-2006, 8:11 AM
Pat, I would say "excellent pot," but I wouldn't want someone to misinterpret that!:eek: :p :D

So I'll say, excellent turning!:)

Tom Sherman
12-13-2006, 8:06 PM
Pat, I would say "excellent pot," but I wouldn't want someone to misinterpret that!:eek: :p :D

So I'll say, excellent turning!:)

Nice work Pat good form and finish. Mark haven't you seen Bill and Ted's EXCELLENT Adventure? I believe the proper quote would be "most excellent pot":D (he said with a cheesey grin)

Richard Madison
12-13-2006, 8:59 PM
What's the difference between a "pot" and a "vase", or something else? My "pots" are sort of square, and "vases" tend to be taller and "swoopy" shaped. Just curious.

John Hart
12-13-2006, 9:03 PM
What's the difference between a "pot" and a "vase", or something else? My "pots" are sort of square, and "vases" tend to be taller and "swoopy" shaped. Just curious.

Hmm Dunno. We'll need to get a ruling on this. I've seen Weed Pots that are tall and swoopy. My opinion would be that pots are short and vases are tall. :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2006, 9:31 PM
Pat looks mighty fine to me. Keep'em coming.

Joash Boyton
12-14-2006, 7:50 AM
My pots tend to have a more functional look about them, and have a more wider opening, with a bigger base to steady them. Whereas my vases will have a more elegant design, with a more smaller base, with some nice "ruffles" around the lip etc:

Often, it is just little differences, that make them go from looking like an elegant gallery piece, to a conventional "meant to be used" look.

Great job on the pot Pat, if you've got more timber, maybe try a hollow form, if you have some nice spindle stock left.

If you do make a HF, and it seems like it has some nice spalting, keep it (the shape) simple, with one flowing form, and maybe one bead as a break, closer up towards the rim. But if the grain is rather bland, put lots of details in.

Look forward to seeing more,

Joash

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2006, 8:38 AM
Nice pot Pat! I wish I could get something that nice out of the birch I scoffed up last fall. I've not had too much success with mine.