PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make Hotsauce??

Joe Tonich
11-08-2003, 1:16 PM
I have some Habenero (sp?) peppers that my boys grew and need to use them. I want to make some hotsauce (like Tobasco but HOTTER.) that will keep in the fridge for a while till I can use it up. Any recipes?

Thanks,

Joe

Bill Grumbine
11-08-2003, 1:22 PM
Hi Joe

SWMBO made four varieties this from this summer's harvest, medium hot, real hot, and volcanic. Some of those here have experienced her salsa. I will ask her for the recipe. We grew four different kinds of habenero this summer along with some lesser hot peppers. We really like the habs because in addition to being hot, they have a slight sweet taste as well.

Bill

Joe Tonich
11-08-2003, 3:51 PM
Hi Joe

SWMBO made four varieties this from this summer's harvest, medium hot, real hot, and volcanic. Some of those here have experienced her salsa. I will ask her for the recipe. We grew four different kinds of habenero this summer along with some lesser hot peppers. We really like the habs because in addition to being hot, they have a slight sweet taste as well.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Wouldn't mind a salsa recipe to make with it. :p Hoping to make it to a Five Barns Picnic next time or maybe stop by for a turning lesson someday when you have some time. :)

Joe

Terry Quiram
11-08-2003, 6:38 PM
Joe

How brave are you? I am known here abouts for my Jalapeno poppers. Last year I made some poppers from Hobbies. Those babies got some pretty interesting results when eaten. I especially liked the guy whose voice rose a couple of octives. :D

Terry

Joe Tonich
11-08-2003, 8:36 PM
Joe

How brave are you? I am known here abouts for my Jalapeno poppers. Last year I made some poppers from Hobbies. Those babies got some pretty interesting results when eaten. I especially liked the guy whose voice rose a couple of octives. :D

Terry

Hi Terry,

Nope, won't try THAT again! Popped one of those last winter. -10deg. out and the sweat that formed under my eyes froze. Thought I was gonna die!

Joe

Jim Becker
11-08-2003, 8:48 PM
SWMBO made four varieties this from this summer's harvest, medium hot, real hot, and volcanic.

What was the fourth one? "Big bang" volcanic?? :D

Tom Sweeney
11-10-2003, 12:08 AM
No I'm not calling anybody names ;)

I love cooking hot & spicy stuff! Bill G & I had some good Habenero hot sauce when we stopped at a Mexican place for lunch the day we went to Hearnes Hardwoods - it was pretty good - not as hot as expected though.

I make Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Habeneros. Either a dry rub or a barbecue sauce. It tastes real good especially if you smoke the chicken.

Basically - I don't do recipes. I just mix a bunch of stuff together & it usually comes out tasting good. Search the web for a Jamaican Jerk recipe - if you need to follow exact measurements but here's what I do.

Take pre made honey Barbecue sauce (sometimes I make my own but cheating works just fine here) Put it in a blender. take Cumin, allspice, ginger , salt & paprika - Idunno maybe a teaspoon or 2 of each. Add couple of teaspoons brown sugar & soy sauce. If you have Jalepeno hot sauce put a little of that in - or Ancho chili powder works well also. put in the juice from 1 Lime & some of the "zest" too in a pinch pour some OJ in if you don't have limes. Put a few cloves of garlic & 2 habeneros in & blend everything real good. If you want to kick it up a notch add some rum to the sauce :D Mix it all up real good in a blender.

Marinate the chicken (pork works well also) for at least a few hours - save some of the sauce for brushing on while BB'quing or smoking. Cook it up - pop open a couple of coronas & have at it. :D

MM MM Good!

Terry Quiram
11-10-2003, 7:05 AM
Joe

For what its worth this a page to "Texas" salsa. A lot of them are from jerks that just want to noise, but some are quite good. I have made salsa from a couple with good results.
http://hotx.com/hotsalsa/

Terry

Joe Tonich
11-10-2003, 9:04 AM
Tom,

I don't measure ANYTHING when I cook. :p I usually use recipes for a selection of ingredients and approx. measures. I'll try yours, sounds GOOD.

Terry,

Sure is a slew of different concoctions, EH?? :D Gonna try the "Heavenly Habenero". I like chicken marinated in a somewhat sweet /hot sauce and put on the grill.

Thanks guys, now I'm getting HUNGRY!

Joe

Tom Sweeney
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Since I'm the only one at my house that likes hot & spicey food - I normally only make the jerk recipe for parties or group picnices, like Bill's 5 Barns. I make it milder than I would actualy like it because it's for a group setting - so if you like it hot I would add 1 or 2 more habeneros to the mix.
Disclaimer - I've never used more than 2 - so I don't know how hot it will get - but all the sweetness from the honey & sugar & the citrus tends to counteract the heat so I think you would be safe adding more heat to the mix.

[QUOTE=Joe Tonich]Tom,

I don't measure ANYTHING when I cook. :p I usually use recipes for a selection of ingredients and approx. measures. I'll try yours, sounds GOOD.

Don Farr
11-10-2003, 1:12 PM
I have some Habenero (sp?) peppers that my boys grew and need to use them. I want to make some hotsauce (like Tobasco but HOTTER.) that will keep in the fridge for a while till I can use it up. Any recipes?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, I tried to make some Tabasco like hot sauce, one year when I had a good pepper crop. I never could never get it just right. Some combination of ground up peppers, vinegar, salt and water. It seems simple but just couldn't get the flavor right. Also after it sat for a while it would separate. You know, clear on top and red on the bottom.
Tabasco ages their's in barrels, maybe that is the trick. :confused:
Let me know if you figure it out.