PDA

View Full Version : economy priced table saw

Joe Trotter
12-12-2006, 6:37 PM
Is it possible to buy a decent table saw for under $200.00?

I posted a week ago about the RAS I have been using. I may need to return it at the beginning of the year.

I would like to buy a table saw but I will be limited to $200.00.

Anyone have advice?

Thanks, Joe

Jim Becker
12-12-2006, 6:38 PM
Joe, think used so you can get a better machine. Anything new for $200 or under is going to be a benchtop that isn't going to make you happy...DAMHIKT!

Joe Trotter
12-12-2006, 6:42 PM
What is a good brand?

I was searching craigslist earlier but I am unsure of brand.

Thanks, Joe

Al Garay
12-12-2006, 6:44 PM
Shop around for a Ryobi BT3100. Some have been able to buy them from Home Depot for that price.

Search: http://www.bt3central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

john lawson
12-12-2006, 8:02 PM
Check your local Craigslist and watch out for an older Craftsman or Jet or maybe a Grizzly. While everone wants the latest and greatest saw, there has been a lot of fine woodworking done on older model contractor saws. I sold a very good Grizzly contractors saw about 5 years ago for $150 because I upgraded.

If you are new to woodworking and not sure what a contractors saw is, do a Google search and read up on them. Try to avoid a motorized saw, that is one that is direct drive. Get one if at all possible that has a 1 1/2 hp motor hanging off the back with a belt drive.

If possible get one with extensions, cast iron is best. Here is one in Wyoming, don't know how far that is from you;

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/tls/231425832.html

Yes, you can get a good saw for $200. Be patient.

best of luck

john in birmingham

Mike Henderson
12-12-2006, 8:15 PM
I have an older Craftsman table saw that someone GAVE me. I had to buy a motor for it but I was able to find a 2HP TEFC motor for slightly over $100. I changed the pulleys and added a link belt to reduce the vibration. I also adjusted everything (like the rip fence to the blade).

So, for about $200, I have a pretty good table saw - not as good as a cabinet saw, but it's allowed me to build a bunch of furniture.

Look around, ask around, and you'll find something that will work for you if you're willing to put some effort and time into fixing it up.

Mike

Joe Trotter
12-12-2006, 8:23 PM
Check your local Craigslist and watch out for an older Craftsman or Jet or maybe a Grizzly. While everone wants the latest and greatest saw, there has been a lot of fine woodworking done on older model contractor saws. I sold a very good Grizzly contractors saw about 5 years ago for $150 because I upgraded.

If you are new to woodworking and not sure what a contractors saw is, do a Google search and read up on them. Try to avoid a motorized saw, that is one that is direct drive. Get one if at all possible that has a 1 1/2 hp motor hanging off the back with a belt drive.

If possible get one with extensions, cast iron is best. Here is one in Wyoming, don't know how far that is from you;

http://wyoming.craigslist.org/tls/231425832.html

Yes, you can get a good saw for $200. Be patient.

best of luck

john in birmingham

Thanks John,
I had seen that one in Rawlins, it's about 3 hours from here. Is that a good deal?

Joe

Alex Shanku
12-12-2006, 9:09 PM
I picked up my table saw, a Delta 10" Tilting Arbor w/ 52" unifence for $200.

Just have to check craigslist 5x a day and get the good deals.

john lawson
12-12-2006, 9:43 PM
From the looks of the saw in Rawlins, it might be O.K. Not great but O.K. The saw in the picture appears to be a newer model Craftsman with the large extrusion fence, and stamped wings (prefer cast iron but stamped works same)

So, if the fence locks down good, the blade is good, and the motor runs smooth with minimum to no runout it good be a good deal. If you go, take some wood or make sure he has some and cut with it. Rip some pieces to see how much power it has and how smooth the blade cuts. Flex the blade back and forth to check for any looseness in the arbor. Run the blade up and down and angle it to 45 degrees just to see if everything is free.

Most tablesaws have very little use and with a little tune up it could give you many years of good service. My advice; check it out, if you like it offer him $150. If he takes it buy a good blade and a link belt. You will be set to go.

john in birmingham

Don Bullock
12-12-2006, 9:56 PM
I agree about the saw. I'ts a lot newer than the Craftsman that I have. Mine still works great.

glenn bradley
12-12-2006, 10:41 PM
The fence on that saw is the Align-a-Rip made for Sears by Ryobi which is about $100. I was quite happy with mine on my old C-man until I got the opportunity to get a hybrid saw. Otherwise, I would still be using it and still be happy. I got my 1970's Emerson/Craftsman saw and a 12" C-man BS for $180 from an old(er) gentleman who was switching to scroll work due to health issues. I added the fence and had a good start for under $300 for both.

We were both very happy. He got a place to park his car and I started woodworking. The first 3 numbers in the Craftsman part number indicate the manufacturer: 113.xxxxxx = Emerson (some of the better stuff IMHO). So in a nutshell the answer is YES.

Gary Breckenridge
12-13-2006, 1:08 AM
:o My first table saw cast me $ 15.00 and I found an old washing machine motor and I was in business. I sold it a few years later at a profit. Buy a used machine and tune it up and get a new blade. Keep us updated.:cool:

Larry Conely
12-13-2006, 8:28 AM
I purchased a used BT3000 Ryobi table saw for remodelling a cottage we bought. This is the saw with the sliding table and a mitre fence. I paid $125 for it and it came with mobile base, short and long fence rails with table insert, folding outfeed table, optional miter guage slots, dust collection attachment and bag and five decent blades. I have been surprised by the quality of the Ryobi. It's a pleasure to use. The only real beef I have with the saw is the standard miter fence. It's a pain to set accurately, so I simply use a normal miter gauge.

My shop saw is a 12" Inca, so I feel I have a reasonable good reference point.

Larry

Joe Trotter
12-13-2006, 9:02 AM
Thanks Guys for the information.

I will probably start looking in January.

Joe

Don Bullock
12-13-2006, 9:49 AM
:o My first table saw cast me $ 15.00 and I found an old washing machine motor and I was in business. I sold it a few years later at a profit. Buy a used machine and tune it up and get a new blade. Keep us updated.:cool:

My first table saw not only used the motor out of an old washing machine, my dad used the base of the old ringer style washing machine as a stand for the saw. We used that saw for many, many years.

Jeff Weight
12-13-2006, 10:53 AM
I recently purchased a used Delta 9" tilting arbor saw with near new 2 HP Baldor motor for $25 off craigslist. The saw needs a lot of TLC, but the motor is what I was after.

Now I'm working to restore that saw for a friend, and found a Delta 9" contractors saw with motor and few parts we need on craigslist for $75. So for $100 I've got a near new 2 HP Baldor motor (to upgrade my table saw) and pieced together two saws to make one complete unit. Not bad, but you have to keep looking. Don't bypass older 9" contractor saws. They'll be much better than any new 10" benchtop machine you find at the home center.

Joe Trotter
12-14-2006, 7:29 PM
Shop around for a Ryobi BT3100. Some have been able to buy them from Home Depot for that price.

Search: http://www.bt3central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I have read allot of good info in the last day about this saw. Apparently HD clearanced them out at 199.00 with a 50.00 rebate. They were also taking Lowes 10% coupon. What a deal, I went to HD and they didnt have any more.

Oh well at his point I dont have 199.00 anyway. Thanks for the lead, it opened me up to some reviews. I learned some things without even spending any money :)

Thanks to all for the input.

Joe

Joe Trotter
12-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Can anyone identify this saw? It appears to have a cast iron top.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/249614175.html

Tim Morton
12-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Can anyone identify this saw? It appears to have a cast iron top.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/249614175.html

do your self a favor and stay away from a saw that says "needs motor repair"
motors cost more than t he $200 you say you don't have. Its best to set the money that you do have aside and save until you can afford to buy a decent saw.

john lawson
12-16-2006, 6:47 AM
I agree with Tim, unless you already have a motor or know where you can get one for a good price. Also, if you decide to go down that route make sure you have a good pulley and belt or that will add to the price.

john in birmingham

Joe Trotter
01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
OK, I have found a couple of more close by.

Any thoughts on either of these?

I have sent each of them an e-mail to find out more information.

Thanks, Joe

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/246104317.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/250310091.html

Homer Faucett
01-04-2007, 10:25 PM
The first one looks like a GREAT DEAL! The second one, not so much.

john lawson
01-05-2007, 7:44 AM
The first one looks like a Taiwanese or Chinese clone of an old Delta contractors saw. It might or might not be ok. Check it very carefully for runout at the arbor, and rip a 2 x 4 to see if the motor bogs down. Rated hp and amps on these saws don't mean a whole lot because they don't follow NEMA standards, so the motors may draw the amps but they may not be as efficient and may not produce the HP.

The second one appears to be a genuine older Delta contractors saw with stamped wings instead of cast iron. I would check it carefully as well, but all things equal I would rather have the older Delta. Since things aren't equal on price you might want to go with the first one. Make sure it is not a Delta mororized saw. (If there is no belt you dont want it).

Good Luck

john in Birmingham

Joe Trotter
01-05-2007, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the tips guy's. I have had one reply on the second link. I googled the name but I didnt find anything.

Here is what I was told;

"It's a Performance Tough brand, 2 hp, belt drive very
good condition), 10" blade. It's in perfect working order with no problems.
One owner."

I sent another e-mail for more specifics.
Thanks, Joe

Jim Thiel
01-05-2007, 9:44 AM
Good morning Joe. I think I'd hitch up the wagon and go check out that first saw, the 125.00 one. take 75 bucks and offer him 50.00. He said he needs room for a new saw, and you have cash on the barrel. That would leave you 60.00 for a good blade, not a great blade, but a good blade, and still have 90.00 to save towards a dust collector.

best of luck to you and your new saw.

Jim

Tom Fortier
01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
If you can hold off, and save a little more, the Ridgid TS3650 is a nice unit for around $350. 10% off with a Home Depot card and your down to $315. Maybe pick up a Home Depot gift card here and there to help you save towards it. Same could be done with one of the new Craftsman saws at Sears

Jeff Weight
01-05-2007, 10:53 AM
#2 The Delta looks like a good deal assuming everything is is good condition. To me it appears to have cast iron wings. A big plus in my book. Let us know what you buy.

Joe Trotter
01-05-2007, 1:12 PM
I just spoke to the owner of the "performace tough" saw. http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/250310091.html

He said he wouldnt budge on the 250.

If the one with the cast Iron top is gone. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your thoughts on this everyone.

Joe