PDA

View Full Version : Sticker stains

Bob Johnson2
12-12-2006, 5:22 PM
Started machining some 5/4 walnut today and found that the boards are stained every 24" which I assume to be from stickers. I've got it down to 1 1/16th" and the stain still shows, it's yellowish and about 3" wide. I take it I'll have to keep planing till they are gone?

Jim Becker
12-12-2006, 6:49 PM
Unfortunately, it's likely you need to plane away until you get below the material that has effectively spalted. 'Suggest you take a portion of one board that includes the stain, whack it off the rest of the board at the CMS/SCMS and work it at the planer to see what you get. Be sure you are planing off BOTH sides of the board to avoid moisture differential problems, too.

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 7:12 PM
Bummer. I have some Maple that way that I cannot use now.
Had to stow it, for future short stock. It was stickered every 16"

Bob Johnson2
12-12-2006, 7:29 PM
Unfortunately, it's likely you need to plane away until you get below the material that has effectively spalted. 'Suggest you take a portion of one board that includes the stain, whack it off the rest of the board at the CMS/SCMS and work it at the planer to see what you get. Be sure you are planing off BOTH sides of the board to avoid moisture differential problems, too.

Not sure what you mean by "planing off BOTH sides of the board to avoid moisture differential problems" but both sides have been planed, both have the stains too. Do you mean it's nessesary to plane off equal amounts or just that both sides are done? I was figuring I'd work on just the "top" side from here on out.

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 7:45 PM
Possible that the lumber will bow, twist, warp, unless material is removed equally from both side.

Jim Becker
12-12-2006, 9:10 PM
Possible that the lumber will bow, twist, warp, unless material is removed equally from both side.

"Exactamundo!"

Bob Johnson2
12-12-2006, 9:35 PM
You learn something every day, thanks all.

glenn bradley
12-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Equal planeing, more or less is best. DAMHIKT.