PDA

View Full Version : How long should a Tenon router be you think ?

Jake Darvall
12-12-2006, 4:50 PM
I've had a bit of a search on this site for it, but no luck yet.

I was told Harry, had a picture up of a tennon router, and I was hoping someone would help me find it.

I want to make one, since I think the concepts sounds good. Thinking won't need a supporting block since its so long etc.

But how long should I make it do you think to give enough leverage to keep that blade parallel with the face. Just want to get an idea.

Ta. :)

Jake Darvall
12-12-2006, 5:03 PM
Sorry. I'm wasting your time. Just looked now at the bottom of the screen and there it was. oh dear. sorry about that.

Sam Quigg
12-13-2006, 1:06 PM
Sorry, Jake....where??? Me curiosity is getting the better of me.

Chuck Nickerson
12-13-2006, 1:12 PM
in the 'Similar Links' box. Because he put 'Tenon Router' in the title, SMC did the search for related topics for him.

Sam Quigg
12-13-2006, 6:54 PM
As I believe one of your more expressive and erudite citizens says................ "DOHH!!!" Thanks, Chuck. Happy wood cobbling Jake.

harry strasil
12-21-2006, 4:17 PM
Sorry about not posting sooner Jake. We have had some health issues and other distractions here and I just saw your post cruising thru back posts.

I believe the one in the picture is about 12 or 16 inches long, the hole the tool is mounted in is approx 2 inches I think, I can't get to it at the moment to measure.

respectfully

Jr.

Jake Darvall
12-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Sorry about not posting sooner Jake. We have had some health issues and other distractions here and I just saw your post cruising thru back posts.

I believe the one in the picture is about 12 or 16 inches long, the hole the tool is mounted in is approx 2 inches I think, I can't get to it at the moment to measure.

respectfully

Jr.

Thanks Jr,

I've got a ruff cutting table saw, that for the life of me I can't tune properly (what you get when you buy cheap eh).... and I just can't be affording buying a new one right now.

anyway, I like the idea of ripping off the cheeks of tenons near dimension, then just clean up with a few sweeps of that tenon router of yours.

But, I want to be able to cover tenons as long as you find in standard doors with that have through tenons. So, I wanted to make sure it was long enough. I figured near 16", but still nice to know what works.

Thanks again. . Hope things are going well in the health department.