PDA

View Full Version : A number of firsts for LOML

Terry Quiram
11-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Connie has been involved in my woodworking hobby on a limited basis for a number of years. Usually when I ask for an extra hand. When I got my first lathe I asked her if she might be interested in trying it she said yes. At Terry Hatfield's gathering Connie got some instruction from Ken. (Thanks Ken) I then bought a Jet mini VS because my lathe is way too tall for her. I have been making tops for our turning club's Christmas fund raiser/charity and Connie said "you have to teach me to make those". First completed piece from the mini and Connie's first, totally unaided project.

Jim Becker
11-08-2003, 10:58 AM
These are something to be proud of! Nice work and she's off to a great start.

Dave Crabbs
11-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Connie has been involved in my woodworking hobby on a limited basis for a number of years. Usually when I ask for an extra hand. When I got my first lathe I asked her if she might be interested in trying it she said yes. At Terry Hatfield's gathering Connie got some instruction from Ken. (Thanks Ken) I then bought a Jet mini VS because my lathe is way too tall for her. I have been making tops for our turning club's Christmas fund raiser/charity and Connie said "you have to teach me to make those". First completed piece from the mini and Connie's first, totally unaided project.

Dang Connie did a nice job turning that top. What is the wood that it is made from???

Once again nice job!!!

Dave

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-08-2003, 11:54 AM
By Jove, I think she's got it! ;) The Top looks great Connie.........I really like the shape, and the slightly scalloped bottom really looks nice. By the way Terry, Angie is going to get a Pen Turning lesson from me this afternoon...........and I think that will give her some confidence to start turning other things as well. Great top............those really are fun to turn..........I have to do some of them for my Neices/Nephews to play with. Keep turning Connie............you are doing great! :D

Ace Karner
11-08-2003, 2:49 PM
Hi Terry, tell Connie I think that top is tops, She beat me to posting the first rookie turning.

Terry Quiram
11-08-2003, 6:34 PM
Dave
The wood is Mahogany. This stuff turns like butter and sands very easy. Its a great wood to start on.

Ace
I heard you got bit pretty hard. I got the back end of the shop cleaned today and both lathes are side by side. Dust collector between and rolling tool cabinet behind.

Life is good.

Terry

Dennis Peacock
11-08-2003, 8:11 PM
Hey Terry.....Tell Connie that I am VERY PROUD of her and she did a very fine job..!!!!! Must be something about woodworkers and The Central States BBQ...!!!! Seems like someone is ALWAYS going away from there with the "bug" to get or do something new every single year.!!! Give Connie a little time and she will be in hot competition with you and your turning..!!!!!! ;)

Give Connie my best wishes..!!!

Ken Salisbury
11-09-2003, 10:49 AM

Connie !!! -- -- Ya did good !!!!
I have been wondering when something would show up on the board. Keep it up and post some more of your work. I think you are ready to try a few pens, etc :D

Matt Bridges
11-11-2003, 10:20 PM
That's awesome! I haven't tried a top yet..only pens LOL

Matt