PDA

View Full Version : New Member has question about Grizzly TS

Travis Hirst
12-12-2006, 2:16 PM
First I'd like to say hi as I'm new to this forum. I have recently just ordered my upgraded table saw from grizzly. The g0478 model is what I opted for after quite a bit of looking. I have nothing but good things to say about Grizzly tools as I have a lathe, a planer, and a band saw from them. So my question after all that is this. Has anyone out there seen or read any more reviews on this saw. I have found a couple of reviews that all sounded great but I'm just wondering if you guys know any more about it. The saw will not be here until the later part of this month and I can't wait to get rid of my little Craftsman $100.00 saw that I've been using and get a real TS. Thanks for reading.

Travis

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 3:33 PM
Travis,

First of all WELCOME to SMC!!!! Great place here with lots of great folks talented in many areas of woodworking and woodturning. Congrats on the new saw as it will be a nice TS for ya.

Enjoy your stay at SMC! :D

Dan Oliphant
12-12-2006, 4:05 PM
Travis, welcome to the creek. I don't have any knowledge on that saw but I do have a suggestion . You will notice on the tool bar there is a search button, try a search by the grizzly model or under grizzly table saw, might be a few posts for you to review.

hope that helps.

everett lowell
12-12-2006, 5:25 PM
Welcome to the creek Travis, don't forget to post pics of your new saw,the pic police can be pretty demanding around here!:rolleyes:

Curt Harms
12-12-2006, 7:15 PM
First I'd like to say hi as I'm new to this forum. I have recently just ordered my upgraded table saw from grizzly. The g0478 model is what I opted for after quite a bit of looking. I have nothing but good things to say about Grizzly tools as I have a lathe, a planer, and a band saw from them. So my question after all that is this. Has anyone out there seen or read any more reviews on this saw. I have found a couple of reviews that all sounded great but I'm just wondering if you guys know any more about it. The saw will not be here until the later part of this month and I can't wait to get rid of my little Craftsman $100.00 saw that I've been using and get a real TS. Thanks for reading.

Travis
I don't have one but I do have a G1023. The first question you'll likely ask yourself after using your new purchase is "Why did I wait this long?":D . Congrats!

Curt

Rick Bullick
12-12-2006, 8:12 PM
I just got the G0478 a few weeks ago to work on my kitchen cabinets, and I LOVE it. It is a million times more solid feeling than the $100 craftsman I got a few years ago when I started woodworking. Also, I do wonder why I waited so long. (Maybe I just needed a big enough project to convince the LOML I needed one.) Welcome to the board.

Travis Hirst
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies and for the warm welcome. So far the things I've read and seen on this forum are great. After seeing some of the pictures of projects on here I can can only hope to make things that nice, but I will and do keep at it and learn all along the way. Rick I have a couple of questions for you since you are the only one that actually has the g0478. I know it's very heavy so did you get a mobile base for yours? Also how difficult was it to set up once you got it to it's home? Also one of my concerns with this saw was the aluma-classic fence. I tried to talk them into letting me upgrade to the classic fence but over the phone they would not let me do it. I may still try to upgrade when I pick-up the saw at the show room as I live only 30 minutes from the Bellingham store. So back to the question how do you like the fence it came with and do you think it would be worth haggling with them to get the upgrade or not. Sorry this was so long but thanks for reading.

P.S The reason I was looking at the classic fence is that it looks like a closer match to the Beisemeyer fence which from when I looked at them on the sears saw I loved. They seamed heavier and well built and they have the replacable sides which are also smooth and not extruded like the aluma-classic and the other sears fence. Anyway just a thought as I am new to this whole uppper level TS bussiness.
Travis

Rick Bullick
12-13-2006, 4:10 PM
I had the saw delivered (thank god the truck had a lift gate) and I got the mobile base delivered right before the saw came so I could drop the saw right on it. It is a little heavy but not difficult to move. The set up is easy, all I had to do is put the cast iron wings on the saw. (Make sure you put the wings on with the smaller holes facing front for the switch.) I am happy with the fence that came with it, probably because I had the crappy craftsman fence where I had to measure to keep the fence parallel to the blade. The set up took a few hours and now it rocks!